Thursday, August 13, 2009

Funny People

It was really research that drove me to see this film. I have never liked an Adam Sandler film. The film received very good reviews and stated that Adam Sandler was at his best. So in the name of research I decided to see the film.

I do admit that the film was better than I had expected. The endless sexual humor did get on my nerves. I have to admit that Adam Sandler did portray his character well.

Adam Sandler plays the part of George Simmons, a comedienne. He is at the top of his profession. He discovers that he has a form of leukemia and is going to die. The film relates the tale of a man trying to come to terms with his life. He hires Ira another comedienne to help him write his lines and to do anything that is required. He becomes his ‘other hand’ in all matters. Ira is an unsuccessful comedienne but his facial gestures are very funny. The two develop a friendship. Ira’s performance was really good.

Ira had been living with two other characters. They are really pathetic souls but do provide humor. One has a steady job in a TV series. He is shameless in exploiting young women. The other is trying to become a stand up comedienne and hasn’t been too successful.

George continues to work even though he has an impending death approaching. It is interesting to see how he uses his health issue as a source of humor. In one instance he has an appointment with a very tall Swedish doctor. He makes jokes that were quite funny.

He revisits his life and re-aquaints himself with his sister. He contacts a former girlfriend and apologizes for all he did wrong.

There is a little twist at the end. Actually the movie begins to lose its strength during the last half hour. In my opinion it became rather silly. George tries to get back with his former girl friend. I was interested in reading that the girlfriend and her two children are the actual family of the director. The children were adorable.

I guess the topic of an approaching death would force anyone to evaluate their life and how to spend the last few years. In many ways it is a creative film. The performers all do a good job. I cold have done with less of the body and sexual humor but I guess that is what many comediennes do.

No comments:

Post a Comment