Monday, September 17, 2012

Cardinal Rule

Cardinal Rule                               5 Roncesvalles Ave.                                  647 352 0202
I had dined here once before and was looking forward to a return visit. A dear friend of mine is in St Joseph’s Hospital. I like to visit with her. I was also concerned about her brother and son who have been providing extended loving care. They needed a treat. I suggested a brunch at Cardinal Rule. It is only a few blocks from the hospital.
Marta is the creative chef. Her menu provides many tasty options. The portions are very generous and each plate is nicely presented. Best of all the food is delicious. Kate is a co-owner with Marta. The two provide such a friendly atmosphere in the restaurant. It has been under their operation for less than a year. They claim the former establishment was a ‘Parkdale dive’. The place is dark. It has a diner feeling. The warmth of the staff and the great food make this a total positive experience. This is going to continue to be a successful venture.
All three of us raved about our food. My friend’s brother stated that his French Toast was the best he has ever eaten.($8.00) It was topped with peaches and brie cheese.($2.00)
My other guest opted for the Salmon Eggs Benedict.($13.00) Poached salmon was placed on the English muffin. The poached eggs were placed over the fish.  A very light and flavorful Hollandaise Sauce topped this exquisite dish. Two potato latkes also were included. I love their latkes. They have spinach inside the potatoes and it is all very crispy. What a tasty dish!
I enjoyed my Huevos Cardinales Quesadilla.($10.00) It was an enormous portion. I was happy to send some home with my guests. The fresh tortilla was stuffed with scrambled eggs, beans and cheese. What a combination. A scoop of guacamole on top made this a great brunch feast. It was healthy, flavorful and so filling.
The Wallop Burger was featured in Now Magazine. Just imagine a concoction of a beef patty, potato latke, bacon and cheddar cheese topped with a fried egg.($13.00)
The Breakfast Pie is a favorite. Potato latkes and eggs are layered and baked in a bacon crust and served with a side of greens.($9.00)
The food is imaginative and well prepared. It is a treat to read the suggestions on the lunch and dinner menu. I guess I will have to return and try some more of this gourmet food.

No comments:

Post a Comment