Saturday, October 27, 2012

Keep The Lights On

Keep The Lights On




I have just spent an afternoon with heavy manly sex. To be more accurate I saw a film with lots of raw emotion and sex. Ira Sachs is a gay documentary filmmaker. I think he knows what he is doing.



The story takes place over many years and portrays a relationship of two men. Erik is a film maker. He meets beautiful Paul. They are immediately attracted to one another. Their relationship covers all emotions. They truly love one another. Paul is addicted to drugs and that causes many problems. He tries rehab but can’t get himself clean.



The two men have other relationships when their union ‘goes sour.’ It is a real rip into the gay world and the story is well told. It is also beautifully filmed.



At one point Paul is having sex with another man and Eric sits on the bed holding his hand.



It is touching and believable. I could feel Eric’s pain as he wants so desperately to have a good relationship. He wants Paul to be well and he wants to live with him.



We meet some of their other friends and feel the closeness of the group. No doubt this film would not please everyone. It took me into a world I do not know. I liked the characters and felt their pain. The cinematography is superb.



No comments:

Post a Comment