Monday, November 1, 2010

Sorrel

Sorrel 84 Yorkville Ave 416 926 1919

I was thrilled when I first discovered this fine French restaurant. My dinner was a gourmet treat. I wanted to go back for lunch to see if I experienced the same high standards in this special restaurant in Yorkville. It is a mere few months in running and obviously has been discovered.

I like the ambiance. It definitely has the feeling of being in a real bistro in France. The stone walls help give that authentic feeling. Tasteful paintings decorate some of the walls. Giant mirrors hang from the interior walls. I like the fact that the tables are well spaced. I have found the atmosphere tranquil and calm. The Frank Sinatra and other 50’s music put me ‘in the mood’ I have found the service superb at all levels.

The food is magic. I am thrilled that lunch is so affordable. The $20.00 Prix-Fixe Menu is such a great value offering the finest of French food. There are choices in appetizer and entrée. The regular menu is always available.

My dining partner ordered the special soup of the day. Artichcke and Navy Bean Soup It looked so tantalizing in the nicely shaped white bowl. It was creamy, hot and delicious. All the dishes were white but of irregular shapes to make for a creative presentation

I started with the Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese. Cherry tomatoes, egg and lemon vinaigrette complimented the fresh greens and dabs of cheese. It was a large portion. My dining companion opted for the same Spinach Salad as her second curse. The restaurant was generous enough to make it a larger portion.

I chose the Seared Pacific Salmon as the entrée. It is not easy to cook fish to perfection. If it is underdone or overcooked the fish is not enjoyable. A very generous portion of salmon was so flavorful and perfectly cooked. It rested on a bed of sautéed rapini on a fish shaped white platter. Meyer lemon and olive oil flavor made this an outstanding dish. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

Penne Pasta with smoked salmon, scallions and capers was an additional choice. It is served with a rose sauce.

Chicken Milanese is the third option for the Prix-Fixe Menu. The chicken is prepared with

shallots, parsley butter, green beans and mashed potatoes.

This was lunch and I ate more than I should have. I was tempted with the desserts but will save myself for my next visit. Flourless Chocolate Cake and Crème Brulee are always favorites.

This is a complete dining experience. You can always work off a delicious meal with a stroll through Yorkville. I definitely want to return to this restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment