Monday, January 24, 2011

Morton's

Morton’s the Steakhouse 4 Avenue Rd 416 925 0648

My main criterion is always good food. Mostly I enjoy finding little quiet spots with great cuisine. Once in a while I like to try top end restaurants to have a new experience. A good friend told me she had heard that the giant shrimps at Morton’s were fantastic. She suggested we go to the bar and have light fare. That sounded like a new experience because a steak house would never be on my ‘have to try list.’ It was like playing house. It was total fantasy land and we had a lot of fun.

We even gave in and had valet service park the car. The bar is very pleasant. The service was impeccable. We sat at a high table with four stools. There are several of these tables as well as the bar. I was surprised how many people were having a drink on this very cold night. You can look in on the formal dining room. It is beautifully appointed and it was obvious that the service is the best. I wondered who was paying the bill for the large table of 8 diners.

We shared a Colossal Shrimp Cocktail.($22.50) The 4 shrimp were enormous and absolutely scrumptious. We also shared the Chopped Salad ($13.00) Iceberg and romaine lettuce is chopped with hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, bacon bits, blue cheese dressing, chopped egg, purple onion, tomato and avocado with Dijon mustard vinaigrette. It was very flavorful and our server happily divided the salad in the kitchen.

It was fun to read the menu and to pretend that I really belonged to this place.

A Jumbo Crab Cake is served with mustard mayonnaise sauce.($18.50)

If you win a lottery you might feel free(hardly a word to use describing this place) to order the New York Strip Steak.($50.00) Broiled Canadian Salmon is $34.00 Lobster Tail from Western Australia is offered at $53.00.

A glass of wine with a few Side Dishes would make for a good snack. Steamed Fresh Jumbo Asparagus is served with Hollandaise Sauce.($12.50) Sautéed Button Mushrooms are $10.50 Sautéed Garlic Green Beans are $9.50

This exotic restaurant is an extravaganza and I wanted to experience it once in my life. My guess is that most diners are on corporate budgets.(but not budget minded)

It is very expensive but not pretentious. We were treated very well. It was fun to be a people watcher. I’m glad I tried this place. I admit I would need to ‘sell my soul’ before I could go back.

I enjoy trying new experiences in life. A small dingy basement with great food is also a pleasure but this was a new experience and I had a peek at another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment