Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Firenze

Firenze (Florence Italy)

Why would anyone call this magnificent city Florence? Firenze has such a lyrical quality to the sound and is so appropriate for this majestic city. No wonder it is called the Jewel of the Renaissance. The history is fascinating. The buildings are spectacular. The fine wines and delicious food are bound to please everyone.

It is ‘de rigeur’ for everyone to wear a scarf. It is actually quite humorous to see the variety of colors, textures and styles of presentation. The other requirement seems to be eating a gelato. The gelato shops are on all streets. I think they compete in their artistic presentation of the mounds of various flavors. It is an artistic delight to look at the array of flavors. It is a gourmet delight to taste them.

The only irritation is the multitude of tourist groups everywhere. Dodging them can be an artful activity. I chose to walk on the narrow quaint streets as much as possible. And walk I did. It is the best way to see this spectacular city. I always suggest taking a city tour on the first day. It gives you an overview of the points of interest and sets the stage for you to plan your personal itinerary.

The museums are noteworthy. I managed to take in several of the world famous museums in town. I finally saw the statue of David and marveled at his beauty.

Cooking courses are also available. I was so excited about the half day course I booked. I’m sure it would have been wonderful. The hotel failed to tell me that the clocks changed the night before and I waited at the appointed spot to no avail. I tried to be philosophical and put it down to a minor irritation on an otherwise perfect trip. The hotels all carry brochures listing the available events and trips.

Side trips to Pisa, Luca and all parts of Tuscany are so easy to book. I was fortunate to use www.florencetour.com or e-mail Paola Migliorini at info@florencetour.com. Paola and her husband run a private company. She speaks many languages and uses her comfortable van. She is such a great source of information and presents it all in an interesting manner.

The train system is fantastic. One day I looked at the board and decided to take a train to Bologna. No problem.

Eating is an important pastime. I found the food to be outstanding at every place I stopped. I preferred the small wine bars. I loved Enoteca Coquinarius Wine Bar at 15 Via delle Oche. You must have a reservation. Tel: 055 23 02 153. Some only had a few tables. The food was always great. Pasta just tastes better in Italy. It is the quality of the flour and they know how to cook it perfectly. The wine is always so flavorful. Everybody was friendly and the service impeccable. I love Italian food and I love being in Italy.

Do I need to mention shopping? Leather shops are on every block. The purses, gloves and shoes are such great purchases. I found Martelli at 18 via Por Santa Maria to be the best for leather gloves. It is on the main street just before arriving at the Ponte Vechio. Of course you can also buy scarves so you can look like all the other people in the city. The shops stay open every evening.

Florence is a jewel.

No comments:

Post a Comment