Monday, April 25, 2011

Water for Elephants

Water For Elephants

I couldn’t wait for this film to open. I thought Reese Witherspoon was amazing. I had no idea she was such a little thing. She does her own tricks and I admire her for riding on that elephant and being playful with such an enormous animal. She plays the part of Marlena, the wife of August, the circus leader. He is a cruel, angry man. You are never deceived by his large smile.

It is depression time and the Benzini Bros. Circus is not doing well. If someone does not pull their weight August and his bullies have them thrown from the train during the night. They are cruel and vicious.

Jacob ( Robert Pattinson) is a young man training to be a vet. After the sudden death of his parents he discovers that they used all their money to send him to college. He is penniless and has no trade. He wanders on the train tracks and then hops a ride with the first train. It just happens to be the circus train. At first they threaten to throw him on the tracks. He tells August he is a vet and is hired. His school knowledge makes him welcome and needed in the circus.

Jacob and Marlena are attracted to each other. He is a gentle soul and she is so in need of comfort and support. Her husband dearly loves her but he is gruff, strong and angry. At first Jacob is welcome into the private quarters of Marlena and August. He is given fine clothes and treated to luxury on the train. It doesn’t require much intelligence to know that August would become jealous of this young, handsome boy.

I loved the movie to this point. Everything begins to get darker. August is brutal to the animals and the workers. He is controlling of his wife. The crescendo builds and becomes overly dramatic.

If you wait long enough you may be satisfied with the ending. What an opera this would make.

I did enjoy watching the circus scenes. It was interesting to see what a large crew was required to set up the big tent. I enjoyed watching some of the performers and learning about the deceit behind what was offered and what was reality.

I realized this was operatic in tone and wanted to cheer when the bad guy lost and the good guy wins out in the end. I didn’t enjoy looking at the brutality and the violent scenes.

I am happy I saw the film but I couldn’t give it a high rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment