Monday, October 10, 2011

Rapido

Rapido 1089 Bathurst St at Dupont 416 535 3500
There are different reasons for going out to dine. On some occasions I welcome dressing up and experiencing a high end gourmet restaurant. I equally enjoy a relaxed home style atmosphere wearing my old dungarees.
Rapido is an interesting concept. Marco is mainly a caterer Santaguida Fine Foods is his creation established at 966 Bathurst St and can be reached at 416 918 9674. A reliable source tells me the catered food is outstanding. The restaurant is across the road from the catering establishment and is open from 8:00a.m.until 4:00. p.m.
My friend Shelly recommended Rapido for a light delicious lunch. I jumped into my car and we both set out for an adventure. (For me a new place and for her a return visit.)The large kitchen at the back is so functional and charming. It is completely open. The enormous sky light offers warmth and light. In fact the last table is right beside the stove. You could actually reach out and stir the soup. On this occasion two large pots of Turkey Soup and Squash Soup were bubbling away. The exposed brick wall makes for a homey atmosphere. One wall of plants adds a garden atmosphere. A large wooden block table is in the middle and obviously all the preparations take place here. Outside at the back is an inviting garden with tables and chairs. It was great to chat with Marco, chef /owner. He told us how much he loves his job, his kitchen and his work. It showed with his charming smile.
Jars of home made preserved peppers are on sale at the front counter. My friend purchased two jars of the sautéed peppers. I couldn’t resist the Biscotti.($2.00) There are several flavors. I opted for the poppy seed biscotti. I had just finished a big lunch and couldn’t even wait until I reached the car. In fact it was all gone before I crossed the road. I love biscotti and these were the best. I felt better when Shelly also devoured hers immediately.
The home made Pizzas are very flavorful. There was a lot of fresh tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. It was also topped with grilled kale. The slice was a generous portion. We both enjoyed our lunch. She also opted for the home made Turkey Soup and said it was so full of flavor. Soup is offered at $5.95 for a bowl.
You can have a combination of soup and salad or Soup and Panini. for $9.95.
The paninis are displayed in a cooler. They will happily grill them for you. The Paninis are enormous in size. Turkey, Chicken & Brie, Veggie, roast Beef, Corned Beef and Tuna are all available. Fresh salads are also on display. You can enjoy one salad for $5.25 or have a sampler plate of several for $9.95 The Vegetable Medley is prepared with purple potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower. The Asian Noodles is a composition of egg based noodles in Hosein Sauce with sesame seeds and mixed veggies. The Pesto Salad comes with tomatoes and cucumbers in a tasty pest sauce.
My friend Shelly told me she has used Marco’s catering for several parties and highly recommends his service and food. He came to her house and provided all that was necessary for a successful delicious cocktail party.
This is such a friendly spot. Drop by for coffee and a Muffin or a Home Made Sweet. Have a lunch or light snack. The atmosphere is relaxing. I was made to feel very much at home. We then strolled on Bathurst St just south of Dupont. I was amazed at the number of restaurants and clothing boutiques. This is obviously a neighborhood in transition. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment