Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Via Norte

Via Norte 938 College St 647 348 1116

If I was a condemned person asked to order my last meal it would be my favorite Grilled Tuna at Via Norte. There is nothing like it. I crave it. I salivate thinking about it and need to have a ‘fix’ on a regular basis.
Jose Alves is a master chef and the owner. The other Jose, the manager, does an equally fine job making the clientele feel at home. He is charming and knowledgeable about the food. Both are masterful at their job.
Jose is skilled in preparing all the fantastic food featuring Portuguese dishes. I like to observe what people are eating. On this last visit I went with two friends also devotees of Via Norte. We sat next to a large family who really seemed to know Portuguese food. In fact they told us they dine here often. One even drives from a far suburb for this delectable food. They were enjoying a casserole dish of meat and clams in a most flavorful aromatic sauce.
The Portuguese bread is crusty and delicious. Pour a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and you will find you can’t stop eating it. The home cured black olives also add a great touch before you have even ordered.
I personally never look at the menu. I even tell them on the phone that I would like Tuna for dinner. Two large tuna steaks are beautifully cooked to perfection. The flavor is superb and you can cut it with a fork. There are so many vegetables included on the dish. I ate all the rapini and broccoli. Rounds of potato and sweet potato were so tasty. The white beans were devoured in no time. This portion is sufficient for 2 people but I ate every bit. I couldn’t move but I didn’t care. My friend R also quickly demolished this perfect dish.
R’s husband G, ordered the Grilled Tiger Shrimp and Seared Sea Scallops served with a rice pilaf flavored with dry vermouth and saffron. Needless to say it was spectacular.
I am so excited to see that starting the first week in October there will be a Fix Price menu to celebrate Via Norte’s 1st year anniversary. Three courses will be offered for $30.00. For $50.00 you can also enjoy a wine sampling with each course. For the first offering you have three choices.
Butterfly Grilled Portuguese Sardines, marinated in fresh garlic, coriander, chili flakes are topped with chives and tomato salad. Punheta de Bacalhau is a ceviche of shredded cod salted and tossed with a julienne of roasted peppers, red onions, olives, parsley and extra virgin olive oil. Mildly Spiced Grilled Portuguese Chourico is flamed with Portuguese grappa.
Main courses offer my favorite Pan Seared Yellow Fin Tuna, Pan roasted Fillet Mignon or a Mixed Seafood Risotto. Main courses are accompanied by a selection of steamed vegetables, tossed with extra virgin olive oil.
Don’t stop there. Save room for the Tahitian Vanilla Panna Cotta or The Dark Chocolate Tart served with fresh berries.
The regular menu offers a large variety of dishes. The Herb Crusted Salmon and Pan Seared Tenderloin are just a few of the delectable entrée choices. Salads and Appetizers are plentiful and also make for lighter fare dining.
Sometimes I choose a table by the fireplace in the upper front room. I also have a favorite table near the bar facing the library shelves with all the fine wine. It doesn’t matter where you sit. You will enjoy fine food and great service. That is why I continue to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment