Monday, December 19, 2011

Young Adult

Young Adult

I tried to like this film. I adored Juno and was excited to see that Diablo Cody had written another film. I also want to be supportive of Jason Reitman. He has directed so many wonderful films. I feel indebted to his family for their contribution to the TIFF Bell Lightbox.
Charlize Theron does an admirable job as the mean immature person. I just disliked her role so much I couldn’t get into the film. Charlize plays the part of Mavis Gary who is an author of teen literature. Her emotional development isn’t much beyond a teenager. She reads in the paper that her former boyfriend has had a baby. She imagines that he is unhappy and wants out of a strangling marriage. She drives back to her hometown to confront her high school sweetheart.
He makes it quite clear that she is out of bounds. She is rude and mean. She is an alcoholic and drinks excessively and then makes mean comments.
Is this supposed to be funny? Is this supposed to be entertaining?
I was losing myself in thoughts of other things I needed to be doing. I didn’t care about her and wanted it all to end. I do admit that Charlize Theron is most attractive and plays the part well. I just didn’t have the patience for her nonsense. Maybe I have just seen too many films lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment