Monday, April 23, 2012

Damsels in Distress

Damsels In Distress Several male members of the audience laughed out loud throughout the film. Was it a generational problem? Am I lacking a sense of humor? My film partner also agreed that we were bored and found it to be lacking. I realize that it was ‘tongue in cheek’. “I was interested to learn that it is based on a true story. The concept is humorous but I found the execution of the film silly and overdone. The characters were all so ‘over the top’ that it wasn’t funny any more. The stupidity actually got on my nerves. I realize that the story takes place in a small college. I am not in that milieu so will concede that I am probably missing the point. Violet and her three best sorority friends attend Seven Oaks College. They are attractive, intelligent and very arrogant. Violet is definitely the leader. Her goal is to make friends with all the guys that ‘just don’t rate.’ She feels that her sparkling personality and help will make men out of these sad souls. Some of them are truly pathetic and even in jest I couldn’t relate to them. The girls run a house for potential suicide victims. They are convinced they can alter lives. The girls teach tap dancing to the potential victims of suicide in the hopes of making them feel better. At times they break into song and dance. Sorry, even that wasn’t well done. There are flirtations and broken relations. Anybody can relate to that difficulty in college life. Of course everything isn’t a total loss. Violet is able to send off some good lines to the men. The girl’s dresses were amusing. The concept has potential but just didn’t make the mark in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment