Tuesday, April 28, 2009

C5 ROM

I wanted this lunch to be very special. My grandson, Alex, has worked so hard with his jazz studies this year. He just won a grant to make a new CD. All of the above called for a treat.

We were both expecting something special. The restaurant is on the 5th floor of the ROM and overlooks the city. Splendid view. The décor would win a prize but I did comment that it felt as if I was in the fine dining room across the road at the Gardiner Museum. The bar area is done in a modern sleek sophisticated manner. It is spacious and the black leather couches are comfy. The main dining room is very airy and light. The dishes are attractive in design.

Alex is a young man with a very large appetite. Trust me this was not the place for him. Bread was served from a basket that was passed around the tables by a server. That poor person had to return many times to help fill Alex’s appetite. The pieces of bread were small.

I had great difficulty selecting anything from the menu. I don’t eat meat or chicken but never seem to have a problem anywhere else. The choices were very limited for me.

Alex chose the Trout. & Chips. Two pieces of fish were nicely placed on the plate. Alex assured me that the fish was tasty but it certainly looked dry to me. It had obviously been lightly deep fried because there was a light crust on the fish. There were a few turnip chips on the plate .I was embarrassed. I don’t mind paying if the food is good and there is enough to satisfy your hunger. At $21.00 this was a laugh. Thank goodness for all the bread.

I ordered one of my favorite lunch dishes, Heirloom Beet Salad I asked the server if it was enough for lunch. He must have thought I was a mouse. A beautifully presented plate arrived with a few greens, a few pieces of colored beets and a lot of space on the plate.($12.00) I was starving. I then ordered a bowl of Red Pepper Soup with Rosemary.($12.00) Red Pepper has a delicate taste and can stand on its own. The rosemary was overpowering. I couldn’t even finish it. Alex was still hungry and finished the soup but commented that it was not satisfying to the palate.

Pink Peppercorn Linguini is served with guancale lardoons, brussel sprouts, sunchokes, chickpeas and Fontina cream.($20.00) Cassoulet is a dish of sausage, confit pork shoulder, braised duck leg with a baguette.($25.00) C5 Paella offers spot prawns, capellini, clams, mussels, chorizo and crispy kale.($24.00)

I thought that maybe I was in an irritated mood. (but I didn’t think so) So I looked at all the other plates being presented to the guests. Outrageous! The portions are a joke. I’m not even a big eater and I was hungry after ordering two dishes.

How did my bill get to be over $60.00? We were both hungry and vowed that this was the first and last time for us at C5. The place was crowded. The service was pleasant but a little slow.

I think I will get over this but I was sorry that my intended treat was a negative experience. I gave Alex money to go to Greg’s Ice Cream and at least have the finest of ice cream for his dessert. I will have to do more research before I venture to a top restaurant again. A satisfying dining experience can last a long time. This memory will unfortunately also last for a while.

Sorry Alex. I had good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment