Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Duplicity

I vowed I would not see this film. I have never been a fan of Julia Roberts with that enormous grin from ear to ear. I had just had all my couches and chairs cleaned and was unable to sit in my condo for 24 hours while all the cushions dried properly. I had no place to sit. The cinema across the road was my salvation for a few hours. I was prepared to even sit through this film on my ‘don’t need to see list.”

If you like spy stories, intrigue and lots of confusion you may find this film to your taste. I was totally confused as to who was spying on whom.

The saving grace was the part played by Clive Owen. I could have watched him all day. Clive plays the part of ray, a spy. He meets up with Claire, played by Julia Roberts. She also is a spy. They naturally fall for each other but there is always that feeling of distrust. Are they spying on each other? Can they work together and become a team?

The film takes us to Dubai in July of 2003. In a subsequent scene we learn it is 5 years later. Before we know it we are in London dated 18 months ago. Now it is off to Miami 14 months ago. We then are transported to a scene taking place 9 months ago. Maybe I was thinking of my chairs drying and missed the minute details. I was lost and confused. I never knew who was good or bad and who anyone was working for.

I did find amusement in the scene where Claire has to interview a woman who recently had sex with Ray, her current lover.

One minute Claire and Rays seem to be at odds with one another and completely not trusting any word or action. The next moment the twosome is locked in each other’s arms.

Yes, there is suspense. It is fast paced but you have to ask yourself if you really cared. I was more concerned about my newly cleaned chairs. It was worth it. They look fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment