Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grappa

Grappa 797 College St 416 535 3337

How can one restaurant service so many people in one night? How could I eat so much delicious food at one sitting? I think Grappa was the busiest place in town. The Winterlicious menu offering 3 courses for $25.00 is the best value in town. No wonder there was a large turnover and people standing in line at the door. There were many very large parties and the staff was able to cope well. Those young handsome Italian servers looked so smart in their white shirts and dark slacks. It was fascinating to watch them all scurrying round the room making sure that everything was just right. My water glass seemed to be filled every few minutes. There were so many attentive servers. They were bustling with activity the whole evening. I loved listening to the Italian words. This is an authentic Italian restaurant.

I love to dine with my grandson, Alex. I wanted to hear all about his upcoming auditions at the Julliard School of Music and The Manhattan School of Jazz. I wanted to tell him how great his performance was this past week .He is such wonderful company and I am so proud and delighted that we can spend time together.

The bread was of very high quality and the serving of hummus was delicious. I hope the other tables didn’t notice that we went through two baskets of bread. The Butternut Squash Soup with Leeks was creamy and flavorful. It also was very hot. I wasn’t planning my calories wisely when I quickly demolished the whole bowl. We had already enjoyed enough bread for the week. Mussels were also featured on this evening and many people seemed to be enjoying it. Classic Caesar Salad was another option.

I was planning to have the Grilled Salmon but later changed my mind for the Linguine Campagna Portobello, cremini and oyster mushrooms. It was served in a very large white bowl. Leeks and broccoli were infused in the mixture and sprinkled with truffle essence. The sun-dried tomatoes enhanced the flavor of all the ingredients. It was a large portion.

Alex had the Penne Aromatico. It was prepared with smoked chicken, mixed vegetables, wine and veal jus. It was totally demolished in quick order. Enormous platters of Grilled Veal Chop and sirloin were being presented at the nearby tables. Needless to say you need a giant appetite to dine here. The food was beautifully presented and every bite was noteworthy. The portions were of grand size.

Alex enjoyed a Crème Brulee with fresh fruit on the side. Our server recommended the Tartuffo. It was flavorful but once again very filling. The Poached Pear with Chocolate Ice Cream was also promising.

We could barely move. The conversation was stimulating. The food was delicious. We felt we were in Rome dining in a high end restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment