Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nota Bene

Nota Bene 180 Queen St West 416 977 6400

I now know where the corporate diners go for fine food and exquisite ambiance. I was joining an acquaintance of mine to try out this noteworthy restaurant. She is a newspaper journalist, lecturer and very intelligent woman. I was anxious to get to know her better and looked forward to a stimulating conversation. These expectations were well satisfied.

The restaurant is sleek, elegant and very well designed. The main dining room is spacious and the tables are well spaced. Large water colors of abstract city scenes delighted the walls. Mirrors and fine lighting added to the charm. A smaller room nearer to the entrance provided a few tables in a quieter space. You can choose to sit at the lengthy bar or at one of the many tables that provide a quieter atmosphere with the same menu.

The service was impeccable throughout. I would like to be in on a training class because the servers knew all the right things to do and to say.

I found the menu to be very esoteric. At first I was pondering the menu wondering if there was anything I wanted to eat. They were kind enough to offer our appetizer selections as a full entrée.

My dining partner opted for the Nova Scotia Lobster Salad.($24.00) It was served in a white bowl. At first it seemed as if that would not be sufficient for a dinner. It was misleading. Large tasty chunks of lobster were served with avocado, maple bacon, blue cheese and buttermilk dressing. Apparently it was delicious and very satisfying.

I chose the appetizer Cavatelli Pasta. ($18.00 as an appetizer or $23.00 as a main.) It was sensational. The pasta was perfectly al dente. Truffle scented oil was infused in the mushroom ragout with the pasta. It was exotic. Once again the size of the dish was misleading. I was very full after demolishing every bite. The flavor burst in my mouth.

Each day different specials are offered. This Wednesday evening Fettucine Pasta, Rabbit & Porcini Ragu was the offering. Parmigiano and marjoram were added for additional flavor.($26.00)

Yucatan Hot and Sour Soup is prepared with smoked chicken, goji berries and coriander.($10.00) Steelhead Trout Sashimi is an appetizer prepared with kaffir lime, ginger, coriander, soya, sesame and pear.($15)

B.C. Black Cod is served with butternut squash puree, savoy cabbage and maple bacon.($28.00) Mediterranean Seabass is served with fennel, romano beans, olives, sundried tomatoes and olive oil.($28.00)

We were trying to decide between the Flourless chocolate Cake or the Toffee Pudding. Our server told us they are both favorites but we chose the pudding.($9.00) I didn’t know anything could be that delicious. It was covered in caramel sauce and topped with a home made ice cream. Was there anything left in the dish? Not a chance. I even received an e-mail the next day. It wasn’t to thank me for my stimulating company. My dinner companion was raving about the fantastic dessert. I concur.

No comments:

Post a Comment