Monday, March 21, 2011

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre

I had a difficult decision to make. I am going to the opera on Saturday and Reel Talk on Sunday. I am leaving for Florence and Tel Aviv on Tuesday. That meant I could only see one film on Friday. Several good films opened on this day and I was in a quandary. I am currently reading the classic The Mayor of Casterbridge so I opted to stick with the classics and see Jane Eyre, this old favorite story by Charlotte Bronte. I was so pleased with my choice.

The cinematography is noteworthy. The dark grey tones throughout the film set the mood. The cold old stone mansions of the day and the barren windswept terrain add to the mood.

The beginning of the film takes us back and forth from Jane’s earlier days living with her wicked stepmother to the abusive orphanage where she was sent. In one instance she was punished and made to stand on a stool for a whole day without food or water. Her only solace was sketching.

We see Jane as a strong willful child who feels free to speak her mind. After graduating from the orphanage she takes a job as the governess to a delightful young child at the estate of the strange Mr. Rochester. He comes and goes from the estate and appears ruthless and difficult. She is never afraid and feels free to tell him the truth.

Jane thrives at this position. Mr. Rochester takes note of her talent and really begins to see her as a person when she saves him from a fire.

There are secrets at this old mansion and we soon learn what is going on. This is a melodramatic story that has lasted over time. It is a love story and a story of endurance.

Jane faces so many trials throughout her years and she seems to get stronger with each challenge.

The cinematography is superb. Mia Wasikowska is wonderful in her role as Jane. I delighted to see Judy Dench play the part of Mrs. Fairfax, the household manager.

The classics have remained great stories for a reason. I was transported into that era and enjoyed it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment