Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ten Feet Tall

Ten Feet Tall ( Greenwood subway stop)

1281 Danforth Ave. 416 778 7333

I get such a rush when I discover a good new dining spot. I admit I went here to listen to Alex Goodman play his great jazz on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing new there. He was fantastic. The place is funky fun with amazing food. Now I can’t wait to go back for dinner. One wall is a blazing red color. The other side features modern artsy pictures of the Andy Warhol type. The tables are well spaced and the jazz groups have their own spot in the middle of the room

Sunday Live Jazz Matinees are from 3:30 6:30 p.m. There is never a cover but a $10.00 minimum. Check the web because there is a lot happening here. www.tenfeettall.ca

Apparently the name came from a song. The place has been in business for many years and is well occupied by jazz lovers and ‘foodies’ in the area. Ryley was our server and we delighted with her natural beauty and her warmth at her job. I didn’t get a chance to meet Carin Redman, the owner but I hope to have an opportunity in the future. It is obvious that she ably combines the best of administration and creativity. I really enjoyed the vibes from this artsy spot so far away from my usual dining. I also want to learn more about Andy Wood, the chef. I saw some very creative dishes emerging from the kitchen. I liked the menu and everything we tasted was delicious.

One guest enjoyed the Butternut Squash Curry Soup. ($5.50) The large bowl was topped with crème fraiche. It was served hot and the flavor was fully enjoyed. It was a large portion.

My next door neighbor came to hear the trio play. She ordered the Sexy Veg.($9.00) I want that next time. It was a work of art and she raved about the flavors of this healthy dish. Grilled zucchini, Portobello mushrooms, eggplant, red pepper and goat cheese are piled in a picturesque formation. It was drizzled with a balsamic reduction and served with slices of a baguette. The Dipping Fries are worth a trip to this venue. The yam fries are the very best I have ever eaten. They are hot, tasty and crispy. For another $1.00 you can order an additional dip. I recommend the Jalapeno Mayo and Wasabi Aioli. It was interesting to see that every table had at least one order of this scrumptious dish.

The Calamari was lightly dusted in cornmeal and flour and served with jalapeno mayo.($7.00) Shrimp Dawgs offers large tiger shrimp coated in their special fluffy dawg butter and served with a wasabi mayo dipping sauce.($8.00)

I have a thing for macaroni and cheese. On this menu they feature a Mac ‘n’ Cheese Boutique. You choose 1 of three sauces and then choose additional ingredients from a long list. The offerings are extensive. Sun-dried tomatoes, Portobello, pesto, spinach and caramelized onions are just a few of the choices.

Pad Thai is offered with chicken and shrimp. Fresh bean sprouts, green onion and rice noodles are topped with grilled tofu, crushed peanuts and fresh coriander.($14.00)

Fancy Meatloaf is a blend of ground Ontario lamb and beef topped with tzatziki sauce and served with roasted garlic mash and tomato cucumber salad.($15.00)

The menu is creative. The food was wonderful. The place is so appealing. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. But now I need to return for an evening performance and more dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment