Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Guard

The Guard

I was prepared to dislike a film about a cop chasing three men involved in a drug trade. I didn’t particularly find all the ‘crotch fixing’ to be aesthetic. However, I was amused and found the film got better as it proceeded.
Brendan Gleeson plays the part of Gerry Boyle, a very unusual cop in a small town in Ireland. He lives alone and is visited by ‘ladies’ from time to time. He is a devoted son and visits his mother who is dying from cancer. He says what he thinks and it often is crude. Sometimes I couldn’t even understand the Irish accent.
Wendell Everett played by Don Cheedle is an FBI agent who has been sent to this area to find the three drug sellers who are causing havoc in the area.
The drug dealers are so ‘over the top’ in character but they are deadly. It also is very funny to watch their performance.
Brendan hurls his insults to the new cop who has joined forces. He is also ruthless with FBI agent Wendell
The audience laughed throughout. It has to be seen to be believed. The antics are very funny. At the same time you are intrigued with the ‘cop story’ of trying to catch the bad guys.
I found the ending surprising and to the last minute I didn’t know how it would end.
You love Gerry Boyle but you might not want him to be your best friend. He is his own person and does things his way.
The film got better and better. At the end I realized I had seen a very special film.

No comments:

Post a Comment