Monday, September 26, 2011

Gainsbourg

Gainsbourg

I am a glutton for punishment. The word masochist even comes to mind. I’m still exhausted from the wedding last week. I have now seen 10 films at The Toronto Film Festival. I am trying to transition myself back to a normal state. I thought attending a regular movie performance would be the way to go. I had no idea what this film was about. It was a short walk from my home and the timing was perfect .In my ignorance I thought I was going to see an artistic film about Gaisborough the famous landscape painter.
I was surprised to discover that Serge Gainsbourg was a French icon of French singers. Who was to know?
The film could well have been an entry for the Film Festival. It is very creative and visual. Of course the music was wonderful.
Gainsbourg was an individual at an early age. His father was a bar piano player and forced him to learn to play the piano. Even as a youth he was outspoken and was not afraid of anything. He was quite a rebel.
Even when he had to wear a yellow star during the war he showed courage and a brazen spirit. We are reminded of the wartime with soldiers marching in the street. Posters making fun of Jews were posted on buildings. At one time he goes into the woods to be away from the soldiers. Some of his friends bring him food and cigarettes. He certainly smoked a great deal all his life. Later in the film he is asked to play a concert for children whose parents never returned from the camps.
Serge has quite an imagination and much of the story includes fantasy creatures that are part of his life.
He was an extraordinary painter and a lover of beautiful women. One of his lovers was Brigitte Bardot. Many close-ups are shown of sexual encounters. Serge was not an attractive man but had no problem in attracting beautiful women and less of a problem seducing them.
At one point in the film we are told,” Life is chance working against destiny.”
There is art, music and drama in the film. At times it is almost confusing but I adored the pageantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment