Monday, May 14, 2012

The Five Year Engagement

The Five Year Engagement I went to visit a friend at St Joseph’s Hospital. After driving around for 45 minutes without finding a parking spot I decided to keep driving to the Queensway Theatre to see a film. I predicted I would then find a parking spot on my return visit. I arrived at the cinema to discover the Globe had printed the wrong time for the movie. I was exhausted by the time I found a seat and began to relax. I actually missed the opening but it didn’t require a lot of brains to figure out the plot. This is a delightful, light hearted, predictable film. Emily Blunt and Jason Segal are refreshing and adorable. Violet (Blunt) and Tom (Segal) are in love and planning their wedding is a top priority. Tom is a sou -chef. Violet has plans for a post doc education. Tom’s Jewish heritage and Violet’s protestant background provide a lot of humor at the engagement party. Violet’s sister Susie becomes pregnant with Tom’s buddy Alex. They marry in a beautiful ceremony that makes Tom and Violet a little jealous. Susie and Alex eventually have 2 children and Tom and Violet are still working on plans. When Violet is accepted at a post doc course in Michigan the troubles begin. Imagine moving from San Francisco to Michigan? (Especially during winter) Problems develop in the relationship. Violet loves all her courses and Tom struggles to get a job. This is an American movie so the ending was predictable from the beginning. You could say that the delight of the film is the process of the darling couple finally realizing their hopes and dreams. There is a lot of humor. I also could relate to a young couple trying to work out all the problems. Waiting so long for the wedding added stress and more problems. I wanted to yell out,”Elope” It is the summer season for films. This means that all the good films will be held until the Film Festival in September. The summer months are traditionally very dry for good new films. You are guaranteed a laugh or two and it is entertaining. It is a break from all the negative news I hear every day.” In the end it is lighthearted and definitely not thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment