Tuesday, May 29, 2012

L'espresso Bar Mercurio

L’Espresso Bar Mercurio 321 Bloor Street W 416 585 2233 My grandson and I were brunching. The weather is phenomenal and we wanted to be outdoors and we wanted to enjoy excellent food. Fortunately this neighborhood spot is within walking distance. I could have jumped. For years Bar Mercurio has been a family run restaurant. It is an institution at St George and Bloor. I love being greeted by a family member and made to feel so welcome. The food is always superb. Several years ago the family dared to take over a very large space across the road. Brother Joe tends to spend most of his time at Bar Mercurio. Sister Theresa superbly manages the L’Espresso Bar Mercurio. It is a morning lunch place. The space is enormous but so effectively divided that you feel privacy at your own table. The enormous outdoor patio is widely used during the warmer months. I still have my ambition to host a family dinner in the small but elegant private room. My grandson commented that it was hard to believe we were on Bloor St. The patio has a country outdoor feeling. This restaurant is a big favorite of the university crowd. I was having a small dinner party at home in the evening so wanted to enjoy a lighter lunch. The Salad Nicoise was ideal.($13.00) The mixed greens were perfect. Small crispy pieces of green beans, tomatoes, eggs and olives were plentiful. A large scoop of tuna was placed on top and it all was enhanced with the citrus olive oil vinaigrette. On many occasions I have enjoyed the Beet Salad prepared with arugola, beets, pear, walnuts, shaved asiago, and a citrus olive oil dressing. The Smoked Trout salad features smoked trout, baby spinach, roasted peppers, tomatoes, light aioli and a lemon olive oil dressing.($13.00) My grandson is a hearty diner. He opted for the Prosciutto Panini. ($15.00) The olive fougasse bread looked so delicious. The thin slices of prosciutto were packed into the large portion of bread. A choice of sides is offered with a panini. My grandson chose a Caesar Salad. Sweet potato fries and arugola salad are other options. The Eggs Benedict are a house specialty. Smoked salmon or black forest ham is offered. The eggs are medium poached and served with an herb hollandaise sauce. The roasted herb potatoes are so tasty. The exotic creation is served on ciabatta bread.($14.00) Breakfast diners can enjoy the Home Made Granola prepared with fruit and almonds. It is served with French yogurt or milk.($8.00) This is my neighborhood gourmet restaurant. I have dined here since it first opened. It is a popular spot and always busy. The service is friendly. Our server, Louisa, was so helpful and willing to please. The pastry counter greets you as you enter the restaurant. Oh My! I have tasted many of the sweets and can’t even pick a favorite because they are all so good. I do love the Biscotti. Many of the desserts are gluten free. L’Espresso Bar Mercurio continues to enchant the neighborhood. The food is consistently wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment