Wednesday, May 2, 2012

United Bakers Dairy Restaurant

United Bakers Dairy Restaurant 506 Lawrence Ave. West 416 789 0519 This restaurant has been in business since 1912. I don’t go that far back but have been a regular for countless years. I look at it as a nostalgic visit when I go for my favorite Pea Soup. It is simply the best soup in town. Each day also features a different soup. Cabbage Borscht and Potato Soup are other favorites. I often feel as if my three children were reared at this restaurant. It was always a favorite for the Pancakes or French Toast. My late mother loved to indulge in the Gefilte Fish Platter. When my son visits from Chicago he still makes a habit of going to United Bakers for a bowl of soup. It is a bustling place and always filled. I admire the fact that the servers are often of ‘vintage years.’ They can outrun anybody in speedy service. The owner can often be seen talking to the regulars and always has a smile on her face. It seems to be a neighborhood gathering for many seniors. They can dine on the foods they like and meet with friends. It is definitely a community feeling and the typical Jewish foods are available. I was meeting a cousin for lunch. This was the perfect spot for both of us. It is also a bakery and take out. The bread and bagels are fresh. Cookies, cakes and pastries are also on sale at the front counter. I would always purchase a gingerbread man for my grandchildren after meeting for a brunch. The Blintzes are so tasty and fresh. Apple sauce and sour cream are on the side. The Caesar, Chef, Greek and Farmer’s Salad is served in a large bowl. Full dinners are available. Grilled Salmon is served with a potato, coleslaw, tomato and cucumber. The Lasagna is prepared with layers of pasta and cheese with the restaurant’s own savory vegetarian tomato sauce. Of course Lox and Cream Cheese is a staple dish. All of the food items can be taken out. Catering is a big part of the business. The prices are so reasonable and the food is always fresh. Whenever I need to soak in the atmosphere from a nostalgic visit I go to United Bakers. It is good for my soul and always a positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment