Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Le Pain Quotidien

I am so grateful to the JCC member who recommended this new spot. I get a real rush from trying a new establishment and finding it in favor. This is as close as you can get to a French café without leaving town. The servers have that delightful French accent. When you enter the establishment the counter with the cookies, cakes, bread and tarts calls out to you. The restaurant is on a corner so one side is all windows. There are shelves within the restaurant filled with goodies for sale; olives, jams and other French food products.

The tables, chairs and floor are all wooden. One large communal table is in the midst of the dining area. Other tables are well situated so that nobody is crowded. I was most impressed with the quality of the salt and pepper placed on the table in glass jars. I have just become interested in using fine salts with my food. A touch of a good granular salt can enhance the flavor of the food so much. On other tables I noticed bottles of fine balsamic vinegar and jars of quality jam. I felt as if I was on holiday the minute I walked in. Apparently they do a large take out and catering as well. I had not heard about this place and discovered that they have three other locations as well. I like this spot looking out on Yonge St.

All the soups and salads are served with organic bread. I had one slice of French bread and another was an olive bread that almost brought tears to my eyes it was so good.

I ordered a Nicoise Salad. ($13.50) The fingerling potatoes and thin green beans were perfectly cooked. A large scoop of tuna was placed on a mixed bed of fresh organic greens.

The restaurant strives to use organic and local ingredients whenever possible. The Goat Cheese Arugula Salad is served with parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil and lemon.($15.25) The Atlantic Shrimp Salad offers avocado, mango and salsa over organic mesclun.($14.95) All the salads are listed on a blackboard as well as presented on a menu.

The Tartines (sandwiches) are also listed on the blackboard and offer an extensive list of choices. I intend to make that my decision on my next visit.(hopefully very soon)

Tuna Salad with Olive Tapenade and roasted peppers sounds great to me.($8.95) Aged Gruyere with 3 Mustards is offered at $9.95. Atlantic Smoked Salmon with dill and scallions is a popular choice at $12.95.

There are plenty of choices. Several breakfast selections such as yogurt, fruits, cheese and charcuterie are available all day.

This is a charming busy café. I loved the atmosphere. The food is fresh and tasty. I want to go back. Let me know if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment