Monday, May 11, 2009

Mogette Bistro

I knew I would love this new hot restaurant. My friends Max and Sybil have been raving about this establishment. Max told me that the brownies are the best in the city (maybe the world) I promised them I would try it.

Yolanda and I dine out each month. She told me she had found a new restaurant, Mogette. Now I knew I had to go. I was thrilled from the moment I arrived until we finally had to leave. This charming restaurant is a new one on the scene. The very handsome and charming Gino makes all the guests happy at the front of the restaurant. It was like being at a party. He seemed to know all the patrons. No wonder. Once you have been there you will want to go back. Gino’s wife Rachele does all the baking. I was so upset that they were out of those fantastic brownies on this evening. I will definitely go back for the brownies and more of that delicious food. Their son, Daniel is the chef in the kitchen. I could tell you he was trained in France or some other gourmet training facility. I think it is even more amazing that he trained himself. Phillipe is the other chef in the kitchen.

The restaurant has a warm sophisticated atmosphere. The lines are clean and simple. The wooden floors and dark furniture are balanced with the pictures on the light colored walls. There is a wonderful ambiance.

Our charming servers were Chris and Adam. I felt as if I was their friend by the time we left. Chris placed a small thimble sized white object on our plate. He poured some hot water with lemon on the object. It began to bubble and expand until we had a lovely wet cloth to wipe our hands. What fun! How creative! How sanitary and useful!

The bread was warm and delicious. I loved the white bean dip with sun dried tomatoes. I should be ashamed to say that we asked for more bread. Tomorrow would be soon enough to think about dieting.

Yolanda ordered her favorite dish Moules Bleu Mariniere.($18.00)The mussels were the largest I have seen. There was an enormous quantity. The sauce was a white wine Roquefort sauce with parsley. Yolanda said they were the best in town. I hope she doesn’t mind me saying that she enjoyed dipping the bread in the exotic sauce at the bottom of the plate. A side order of frites was absolutely scrumptious. I never eat fries but couldn’t control myself from sharing these minute crispy frites.

I started with the Dungeness Crab Cake.($11.00) Four small crab cakes were artistically placed on the plate. A delicious arugula salad with a perfect vinaigrette complimented the taste of the crab cakes. The sweet corn and roasted red pepper salsa was perfect. I loved every bite. I then opted for the Fricasee of Mushrooms.($10.00) I must try to duplicate this recipe at home. A circle of sautéed mushrooms was served with reduced balsamic vinegar. It was topped with a baby arugula salad and oven-dried tomatoes. Every bite was wondrous.

Pan-seared Rainbow Trout Amandine is served with haricot vert salad, brown butter and fingerling potatoes. ($24.00) Noisettes of Lamb with Merguez Sausage is prepared with a ragout of mogette beans.(25.00)

This restaurant was bustling. At no time were we rushed. Our servers always had time to chat and make sure we were content.

Yolanda and I were more than content. This is one fine restaurant in mid town. I love the idea that a family is working together and each member is providing the best of their skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment