Monday, May 11, 2009

Miller Tavern

This restaurant is historical. I am sure there are many stories that could be told about the former inn. It later became a favorite watering hole for the folk in North Toronto. Several years ago it had a transformation to its present day fine restaurant. The restaurant has maintained the feeling of an old inn. It tends to be a little dark and old world in atmosphere. This is one popular place. It was packed on a Wednesday at lunch time. The first floor level is less formal and is mostly bar area. The winding staircase leads to the dining area. There is ample parking at the back of the restaurant. Service was a little slow but most pleasant. This is top end fare and suitable for a special occasion. My sister and I were entertaining a special aunt who had just turned 85. My aunt and cousin live in Thornhill. I live at the south end of the city. This seemed like a good compromise. The menu is extensive and expensive) and destined to please anyone’s taste.

The Seafood Pad Thai was enjoyed by our cousin.($20.95) It was a large portion served on a most attractive white platter. My sister and aunt opted for The Miller Burger.($17.95) All burgers are crafted from Kerr Farms Angus Beef. No antibiotics are used. There are no added hormones and the beef is raised on pasture. All the burgers are served with russet potato fries, homemade coleslaw and are topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and a dill pickle. The portion was large and the plating was most attractive on giant sized white platters. It must have been good because there was nothing left on anyone’s plate. I enjoyed the Double Cheese Vegetarian Burger.($16.95) A handcrafted soy-protein patty is topped with 2 year old cheddar cheese. I looked at the wonderful creation and wanted to take a picture. I didn’t think there was a chance I could demolish this work of art. I started in and didn’t stop until it was all finished. My late dinner that night was a dish of probiotic yogurt.

We had all been interested in the Seafood Platter.($19.95) I have promised myself that next time I am going to enjoy this dish. The plate consists of blue crab cake, house smoked salmon, chilled shrimp, sesame seared ahi tuna on Cookstown greens with a special vinaigrette.

I was happy to see that Grilled Ahi Tuna was on the menu.($24.95) All fresh seafood is served with vegetable and sesame fried rice, seasonal vegetables and a sweet and sour sauce.

Five types of Steak are listed on the menu. You can order it cooked to your specifications. Kerr Farms Small Beef Tenderloin is considered the perfect steak for a lighter appetite.($28.95) All steaks come with a choice of potato preparation, seasonal vegetables and sautéed field mushrooms.

There are so many sections to this wonderful menu and everything sounds so tempting. Ravioli Di Portobello is served in a rosemary and wild mushroom cream sauce topped with white and green asparagus and truffled grape tomatoes.($18.95) The Lobster Quesadilla is prepared from a fresh Nova Scotian lobster and prepared with boursin cheese, tomato and bell peppers and served with sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole.($27.95) It is suggested as a starter for two or a dinner for one.

This is not an inexpensive restaurant. The food is definitely quality and prepared with finesse. The plating is artistic. It is definitely a place for an occasion. My sister and I were so happy to be celebrating our aunt’s 85th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment