Monday, May 11, 2009

L'Espresso

This was a good week for me. I ate at this favorite spot twice this week. Earlier in the week I was rushing to a film in the Hot Docs Film Festival. My friend and I wanted to grab a quick bite before the first film. In the morning L’Espresso has a menu available at the front desk. The order took only a few minutes and it was delivered with a smile to our table. We actually shared a delicious sandwich of tomato and three cheeses on wonderful artistry bread.

Today is Mother’s Day. My sister, a friend and I were out for an early brunch before all the Mother’s Day festivities later in the day. By 11:00 a.m. the place was packed. I couldn’t believe it. It was so wonderful to see all the families, couples, friends enjoying this bright spot. There is an energy here that I love. Part of it is because I always feel so welcome. Everyone is greeted at the door. The servers are delightful. For breakfast the food is ordered at the front desk and delivered to the table. Sunday Brunch and in the evening full table service is available. There were so many choices from which to choose. My sister opted for the Poached Eggs on Spinach. A fruit salad was also on the plate. Our friend ordered the Classic Tuna Panini. In my opinion this is the best of all. Seared yellow fin tuna with spinach, onions, tuscan bean spread, brie cheese and balsamic vinegar melt in your mouth. A lovely green salad of fresh arugula was on the plate. I enjoyed my favorite Nicoise Salad. The fresh arugula and vinaigrette blended so well. The green French beans were perfectly cooked. Fingerling potatoes also graced the salad. I loved every bite. I felt satiated but knew that I would be ready for my Mother’s Day dinner later in the day.

During the week at lunch the food is ordered by checking your option on a list and the food is delivered to the table. In my opinion the Paninis are the specialty. The Vegetarian Club Panini is filled with bocconccini, zucchini, spinach and roasted peppers. The artisan ciabatta bread is the best.($9.95) Crab Club Panini offers crab and shrimp cake, avocado, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and scallions on artisan baguette.($11.95)

The Nicoise Salad is featured daily and is the best in town.($12.95) Caesar Salad is prepared with heart of romaine lettuce with a classic house dressing.($7.95)

Soup, Crepes and Entrees are listed daily. If you are not counting calories you will be tempted by the desserts at the counter. The cakes are so tantalizing. I still love good biscotti. Purchase some sweets to take home for another time.

My ambition is to invite 10 people for dinner in the quiet charming private room. At this time of year the outdoor patio is always filled and is away from the noise of the street. Most important is the quality of the food. It is always guaranteed that it will be fresh, appealing, tasty and beautifully presented. I feel the expertise of the managers when I enter this restaurant. It makes the guests have confidence. It is obvious that all involved love good food. That is why I keep coming back.

For a change of pace I am also addicted to the wonderful food at Bar Mercurio across the street. These are both owned and run by the same family.

No comments:

Post a Comment