Monday, April 26, 2010

Hamlet

I missed the first performance when I was in Israel so I purchased a ticket for the encore production. I am certainly glad I didn’t let this one get away.

Every singer was superb in his/her role. The stage settings were minimal and it worked so well. Marlis Petersen who played the part of Ophelia literally had 3 days notice to play the part. It is almost impossible to imagine how she did it. Her voice is magnificent. She has the very difficult mad/death scene at the end. It was emotional. Her voice was spectacular and I sat on the edge of my seat enjoying every note.

Everyone is familiar with the story of Hamlet. It was the first time I have heard it translated to music. Every character was spectacular. Even the two grave diggers were wonderful to listen to.

44 countries now participate in showing these Metropolitan Opera performances by live satellite. The shows are sold out well in advance. In my opinion it is better than being at the Met. I love being able to see the faces up close and view all the action as if it is being performed for me alone.

The interviews are amazing. You can’t get that at the Met or at the COC for that matter. During intermission you are introduced to many of the performers and the conductor. You often see the set changes taking place. I love it when the camera zooms in a particular instrument and you see the musician playing.

A prelude of the next opera is presented. A famous opera diva performs an emotional aria and then comes off stage and is willing to be interviewed. Amazing and wonderful!

There is still once chance left this season to see Armida on May 1. The encore presentation is May 22.

You can book next seasons operas starting on August 27 (with a Scene card). If you don’t have a card you can book on Sept. 10.

There will be 11 productions next season and five new operas being presented. It is now my favorite entertainment. You have the benefit of the best opera stars and the close up presentation is spectacular.

I can’t praise it enough. I can’t wait for the next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment