Sunday, April 4, 2010

La Danse

Spiritual! Amazing!

I should have stayed at home and finished unpacking after a month in Israel. I should have taken a walk in the beautiful sunny day. When I saw this movie listed I felt compelled to see this fantastic creative film. To ease my guilt I walked to and from the theatre.

The film is currently playing at the Royal Cinema. It is one of my favorite theatres but there is also a problem. It is an art house and the films are always the best. However they usually play only once a day and often for a short period of time. Don’t delay in seeing this art film because it will not be here for long.

Not only do you see the best dancers in the world up close you see them practicing, learning and performing.

I was able to be at face level with the best in the world. I watched them practice and marveled at their grace, talent and skill. I heard their teachers telling them how to improve and then saw the final performance in all their glory.

I especially loved the scenes of Paris and the camera took me into the theatre and I felt that I was sitting in one of the golden seats. What a theatre. The ceiling is painted with a beautiful mural and the seats are topped with gold.

The bodies were so fluid in motion. Some of the dances were classical but I especially loved the more modern dances.

The camera takes us to the cafeteria and we even see what the dancers are eating. It was quite a contrast to the lavish dinner offered to sponsors of the ballet company. I loved the shots of the costume designs and the sewing of individual costumes. There was even a close up of the floors being cleaned.

This is a fantastic opportunity to literally get behind the scene and see all aspects of this amazing dance company.

No comments:

Post a Comment