Monday, April 19, 2010

The Square

I try to see as many Australian films as possible. Many years ago I had the privilege of going to Australia. Every day I either saw a film or rented a video of an Australian company.

If you like intrigue, blackmail, murder and suspense you will love this film. I confess that halfway through the film I wanted it to end because I was nervous that something was going to happen to the lead character and I liked him. That is I like his handsome middle age look.

Raymond Yale was not a good person. He was cheating on his wife and having an affair with Carla his most attractive young neighbor.

Ray ran a contracting company and as the film progressed we learned that he did not have scruples at work either.

He was not above awarding contracts to friends. He took short cuts with the work.

Carla, his young lover, also had a complicated life. Her ‘rough and tough’ husband hid a bag full of money in the ceiling. I was fearful throughout because that husband was a scary character. She found out about the money and was determined to run away with Ray using the money.

Ray hires an arsonist to destroy the house so the husband will think his money had burnt in the fire. Ray tries to change his mind at the last minute but it is too late and everything really goes all wrong. The arsonist tries to blackmail him and the story gets very complicated..

Ray thinks nothing of killing a few people who got in his way. One body is buried in the middle of the night in a terrible rain storm. Ray throws the body in a large pit and uses his bull dozer to cover up the hole.

There is suspense throughout. I loved the comparison of watching Ray with his wife and friends. At work he could be rude, loud and brutal.

I was upset with myself for hoping he would get away with his girlfriend because I found him physically attractive. As a character he was a terrible person.

The acting was superb and you will sit on the edge of your seat throughout the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment