Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Prophet

I had had company for dinner last evening and was preparing a brunch for tomorrow. I had no time to spare but needed a ‘movie fix’ so heeded for my local cinema to see a film I knew nothing about.

This is a difficult film to watch. It is a prison intrigue. I have often wondered what it is like in a prison. The brutality and toughness are clearly portrayed. The racism also becomes a major factor.

The acting is fantastic but I’m not sure that is enough because I found it exhausting to watch all the brutality. Men in prison are helpless in so many ways. It is almost impossible to tell on the ‘tough guys’. Your life is in danger.

I couldn’t believe the control that ‘the boss’ had within prison walls. He seemed to be able to organize anything and had a lot of control of his stooges The tough leader is a Corsican mob boss. He makes deals and controls lives inside and outside the prison. He takes on a Muslim convict and makes him his servant. We see the conditions improving for the prisoner. He gets electronic equipment in his cell. He is protected from other tough guys in the jail. Day time passes are arranged for him and he does the dirty work for his boss on the outside.

It is mean tough work. You have to ask if the price was worth it for the young man to be the servant of the boss. He serves his 6 year term in the French prison.

I had to wonder if that prison was typical of prisons everywhere. I have to believe that the brutality and control does exist in some form. I’m sure that racism is prevalent. I felt for the helplessness of the prisoners and the horrible things they face and are forced to do.

If you can face all that brutality you will appreciate the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment