Sunday, April 11, 2010

Universal Grill

I loved being in Israel for a month. I am also thrilled to be back in Toronto and able to enjoy our wonderful restaurants. A friend just moved into my apartment building and we agreed to meet for dinner. When she suggested Universal Grill I was thrilled.

I remember when this restaurant first opened in this most unexpected location. There are only about 7 tables plus seating space at the bar. In the summer the outdoor patio permits additional seating space.

I was happy when I first heard that two women opened this restaurant and they have thrived beyond any expectation. The place is always crowded. The restaurant was obviously a former diner and there are still aspects of its past history. The green walls and the banquettes make for a warm inviting ambiance. The servers are so friendly and the food is outstanding.

We shared the Crispy Polenta with mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, capers, olives and goat cheese. ($11.00) It had a ‘wow’ factor as the palate burst with the wonderful flavors. The large pie shaped piece of polenta was crispy on top. The vegetables had been simmered together to produce the most tasty flavor. We both agreed that this dish with a salad would make for a wonderful lunch or light dinner.

Tortilla Spring Rolls are offered with sweet and hot mango dipping sauce.($8.00) The Warm Portobello Mushroom Salad is served with spinach, balsamic vinegar and shaved Parmesan cheese.((9.00). The special Soup of the Day was Asparagus with leeks.($5.00)

My friend comes here often and knew the menu well. She immediately decided on the Rajah’s Dry Ribs. The baby back ribs are dry rubbed and served with yam fries.($25.00) Of course she enjoyed it. I opted for one of the special dishes. Linguini was served with mushrooms, spinach, basil and goat cheese. It was the best pesto flavor and the linguini was perfectly coked. I savored every bite. The Hot Chicken Curry is served with plantain, okra, yam and dahl puri roti and basmatic rice.($17.00)

Oven Baked Rigatoni was a possibility. I loved the thought of eggplant, rapini, sweet peppers and roasted garlic served with tomato sauce and asiago cheese.($16.00) I’ll save that for next time.

We were tempted with the selection of desserts but just couldn’t manage another bite and we were also being thoughtful of the people waiting in line to enjoy a fantastic meal.

The servers seemed to know many of the patrons. It was so friendly and boisterous. I found the food to be outstanding and the place was comfortable and cozy.

I can’t wait to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment