Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Going the Distance

Going The Distance

I know I am obsessive about seeing films. This is a hectic week. My Book Club is coming to my place for our first discussion. I’m having my family (12) coming for dinner on Saturday and the Film Festival begins this week. I could have stayed home and cleaned or twiddled my thumbs in expectation.

My son, in Chicago, recommended this film and I like to follow my children’s suggestions. I find it amazing that Drew Barrymore has been acting since she was 5. She is adorable and so perky.

She plays the part of Erin, a young want to be reporter. As the film opens she is an intern for a large paper in New York. When that program ends she plans to head to San Francisco.

This is such a typical Hollywood film that follows the prescribed formula. Cute girl meets the guy. They sort of have a relationship. Problems develop. They work out the problems and voila it all has a happy ending.

Erin meets Garret. I like the fact that he is her real life boy friend. Their magic showed and it was delightful. This part of the film was enjoyable.

What I didn’t like were his boorish friends. I can do without the toilet humor and gross talk. Garret’s buddies do warn him about having a long distance relationship.

At first the two love birds are on the phone every night. They bill and coo over the phone. Obviously it is hard to sustain such a relationship and eventually it falls apart.

Erin begins to succeed in her calling as a journalist.

But of course the two are destined to meet again and oh well you can guess the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment