Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Globe Bistro

Globe Bistro 124 Danforth Ave 416 466 2000

Without doubt this is one of the finest gourmet restaurants in the city. The beige walls are so warm and soothing. The large art works are subtle in color and fine in form. It is all very zen like. The upper gallery is a great place to look down on all the action. The place was full but it never was noisy. I found it all to be an ethereal experience. The servers all wore black shirts embossed in white with the word ’Globe’. The service is the finest. Everyone was so attentive and friendly. I have previously had dinner here and found it to be exceptional. Now I claim that the brunch experience was also a winner. I can’t wait to return in the near future for lunch.

My lunch companion chose the Globe Quiche.($12.00) 100 mile organic eggs are used and a side salad of greens with Saskatoon vinaigrette made for a perfect brunch item. We both considered the Ontario Goat’s cheese Crepes.($11.00) Cider poached apples are prepared with Honeywagon Farms maple butter, hazelnut chantilly and cassia bark sugar.($11.00)

We watched the diners at the next table enjoying their creative plate of Eggs Benedict.($13.00) Two poached eggs are served with confit pork, herbed buttermilk biscuit, hollandaise and fingerling potato hash.($13.00)

Wellington Country Rib Eye Burger is offered with cheese curds, pancetta, house made pickles, Yukon frites and smoked ketchup.($!5.00)

I know I had the winning dish on the menu. The Vegetarian Omelette of the day ($12.00) was the best I have ever tasted. Making a good omelette is not as easy as it may sound. Too often it is overcooked and the eggs are dry. The omelette was moist and it all melted in my mouth. Red peppers and cheese were infused inside. The fingerling potato salad had a mustard dressing that was so delicious and the greens salad was enjoyed to the very last piece of arugula.

I am almost ashamed to say that we devoured a half portion of a Basket of Baked Goodies.($6.00) Everything was so delicious. We shared a scone. It melted in my mouth. It was so good I could have eaten another one. We also shared a muffin and peach Danish. I couldn’t believe that I had turned into such a glutton. When food is that good it is a shame to leave anything on the plate. A good long walk after brunch eased the guilt but I remain with the memory of a delightful afternoon and a perfect meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment