Monday, February 22, 2010

Fish Tank

This may be a well produced well acted film. However it is not sufficient for me to claim this winner. I could hardly understand their English accent. The people were depressing and that atmosphere never changed. I saw no hope for any of the characters. They were truly trapped within their circumstances and lived as if they were in a fish tank with nowhere to go.

This is a desperate family. The mother was only interested in having a good time and having a man around. She parties in the evening and is a terrible mother to her two daughters. Everyone in the family screams abuses and swears at one another. The mother was physically and verbally abusive. Her concern was only for herself.

The elder daughter is a pretty young girl. She curses the other girls in the neighborhood and is nasty to everyone. She is happy only when she is dancing in her sparsely furnished room. She also relates to the old nag of a horse that is tethered in a nearby field. She attempts several times to free this horse. The owners of the horse live in shacks and I feared for her life when she attempted to free their horse.

She fights constantly with her younger sister who has a meaner mouth than anyone in the family.

Mom brings home an attractive man. He has more patience with the girls than the mother. He takes them on outings and appears to care. The elder daughter mistakes his kindness and flirts with him. They end up having a sexual relationship and the elder daughter falls for him.

At this point the film takes a few twists and turns. I wanted to shout out,”Oh no.”

It was tragic to see the mother and the daughters devastated when the man leaves the household.

The elder daughter attempts to make a new start. I suppose you could use your imagination and hope that she had a brighter future ahead. In my opinion this family had no hope of moving into a more positive mode. The younger daughter had no social skills and certainly wasn’t nurtured in any way.

I was exhausted when I left. I had just witnessed a well acted portrayal of a hopeless family. I was so happy to return to my fine home and be grateful for my existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment