Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Camerini

Camerini Ristorante 709 Mt Pleasant Rd. 416 483 6784

This was love at first sight. I felt as if I was in Italy. The yellow wall made me think of sunshine and brightness. The opposite mirrored wall gives a feeling of space to a small quaint restaurant. The large vase of sunflowers on the counter made me remember the fields of fresh sunflowers so popular in Italy.

I tell my friend Yolanda she is my scout because she seeks out new restaurants and suggests where we should dine. I thank her for this delightful choice. She has been here many times. I noticed that most of the patrons were regulars because they all greeted and kissed the chef on the way in and out. It was the middle of the week and the restaurant was pleasantly filled. The chef works the kitchen. His charming son works as a server. He does it so well. There are only 10 tables and this makes for an intimate atmosphere.

I noticed the table of antipasti in the front window. Grilled red peppers, eggplant and vegetables whetted my appetite when I arrived. Bottles of fine olive oil infused with twigs of oregano are on each table.

As soon as I entered I was presented with a plate of fresh broscheta. Yummy! Yolanda and I wanted to have some good wine and a lite dinner. This was no problem. The menu offers many choices and you can dine on an appetizer or a full course meal.

Yolanda is a Calamari lover. I wasn’t surprised at her choice of the Grilled Calamari finished in a vinaigrette sauce.($8.95) She claims it is the best in town. On her last visit she enjoyed the Mussels Marinara.($7.75)

I almost reached to the next table to sample the two salads they seemed to be enjoying. The Caprese Salad offers a plate of sliced tomatoes topped with boccocini cheese topped with a basil olive oil dressing.($6.95) The Arugula and Radicchio Salad is finished with a balsamic vinaigrette and goats cheese.($8.25)

I ordered the pasta special. Penne with Sauteed Vegetables was served in a delicious olive oil garlic sauce. Carrots, cauliflower and sautéed spinach were perfectly cooked and so tasty.($15.95)

Linguine Gamberetti offers homemade noodles and baby shrimp sautéed in olive oil, chile peppers, arugula, julienne peppers and mixed herbs.($!7.95) Fettuccine Boscajola is a pasta dish with mixed wild mushrooms finished in a luxurious cream sauce.($15.95)

Risotto lovers have 2 choices. Funghi Risotto is prepared with Arborio rice and mushrooms in a red wines sauce. ($18.95)

Grigliaia Gamberoni is just one of the Pesce selections. Grilled tiger shrimp are finished in balsamic vinaigrette with fine herbs.($19.95) I think that will be my selection for my next visit.

Meat and chicken fans will not be disappointed. There is variety in the preparation and numerous choices in each section of the menu. Prices are reasonable and the service exceptionally good.

We were charmed by the chef as we prepared to leave. He told us about his travels and we had a great discussion about Italian Gelato. It was like visiting with friends.

Thanks Yolanda for your excellent choice and thanks to Camerini for excellent food in a lovely atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment