Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Side Car

Side Car Bar and Grill 577 College St 416 536 7000

I can’t stop myself from returning to this perfect restaurant. Perfection is very difficult to achieve but this evening 5 people all declared that every bite was fantastic.

My grandson Alex just graduated from the Faculty of Music at the University of Toronto. He won a very substantial cash prize as the top student in the music faculty. That accomplishment merited a fine celebratory dinner. Usually I consult with Alex as to where we should go for dinner. On this occasion I announced that I had a special place in mind. Alex’s parent’s and his adorable girlfriend Val joined us.

College St has such energy. This part of College St is my favorite part of town. I love going to the Royal Cinema. I like walking on the street and looking in all the boutiques and restaurants. My preferred seat in Side Car is at the window. All the windows were opened and we were able to feel the summer breeze and watch the action on the street. This restaurant is always filled but on this evening the crowds kept coming. The back patio seats 50 people. The bar was crowded and others were waiting for a table. The patio is quiet and charming. Small fir trees have been strategically planted to give privacy and greenery.

During the week a $25.00 3 course menu is offered. The food is exquisite. The service is warm and friendly. Alex was our server and we were so appreciative of his attention and fine service.

The Tomato Soup was fresh and smooth. Four of the guests enjoyed this option. I tasted it and remarked on the burst of flavor. I opted for the Caesar Salad with fresh parmesan cheese. The greens were crisp and the vinaigrette brought out the flavor of the greens.

The Fresh Salmon is truly the best in town. The portion is very generous. The salmon is crusted with herbs and so delicate in flavor. I don’t know how the chef manages to perfectly prepare the salmon every time. Three of us enjoyed this dish and we all agreed that it was outstanding. I should mention that this is the third time I have enjoyed this dish and the quality and flavor remain constant. My daughter-in-law ordered her favorite Steak Frites. The steak was flavorful and perfectly cooked. The frites are hand cut and freshly prepared.

Val ordered a dish that I want to try next time. Fettucine is served with Giant Shrimps and served in a shrimp broth.

All five of us were enchanted with Side Car and thrilled with the exceptional quality of the food.

Dessert was a Flourless Chocolate Cake. It was creamy, chocolaty and deliciously rich. Pure ecstasy! The whipped cream on the side was flavored with hazelnuts and liqueur.

The regular menu offers so many varied choices. There is something for everyone. The presentation is artistic and the taste delectable.

I am ‘over the top’ in loving this place. I could dine here every evening and be content. It is the winning restaurant on this College Street strip. There are countless restaurants but non compare to this place.

I was excited to hear about their plans to open a special bar upstairs. It will feature cocktails from the 20’s. It sounds like a novel concept and I can’t wait for it to open.

I am so proud of Alex’s musical accomplishments. His jazz compositions are fantastic. I also want to praise Bill and Casey, the co-owners who work magic at Side Car. I wish them well in their future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment