Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Abigail's

Highland Park is on the north shore of Chicago. It is such a beautiful spot. I always marvel at the greenery and the fine homes. The North Shore is also the home of Ravinia. The summer concert season is just beginning. Every night during the summer months crowds flock to the pavilion or just sit on the grass to listen to the outstanding concerts. Top musicians are booked every year. You can get to Ravinia by train from downtown Chicago. The Botanical Gardens are breathtaking and also a must visit in this part of the city. I also was able to visit the newly opened Holocaust Museum in neighboring Skokie. One cannot say that you enjoyed such a visit but I did find the museum to be well organized, educational and very emotions. I thought it was an outstanding visit.

Abigail’s is the best restaurant in the area. Apparently it was named for the daughter who was born just minutes before her twin. I hope they open another place and give the twin a named restaurant as well.

Ravinia is one of the prettier towns within Highland Park. There is a large park area. The shops are so appealing and there is a warm small town atmosphere.

My son, Bob, daughter-in law Amy and I went for lunch. The place was already packed It was obvious that the patrons were regulars at this charming spot.

Bob started with the Soup selection of the day.($5.00) It was a thick Fresh Mushroom Soup with a touch of crème fraiche. Apparently it was outstanding.

One can dine lightly here if you wish. The first part of the menu lists Little Things (appetizers) Rock Shrimp are prepared buffalo style with blue cheese dressing and celery.($10.00) English Pea Ravioli is prepared in a tomato parmesan broth with black truffle.($9.00)

I didn’t need to look any further than the salads. My favorite Seared Sushi Tuna Nicoise was calling out to me.($14.00) The piece of tuna was enormous and perfectly prepared. The greens were flavored perfectly with a mustard tarragon dressing. Little potatoes were nestled in the greens. The capers were gigantic and delicious. Olives and small cherry tomatoes completed this perfect choice.

I am prepared to drive for 8 hours to go back for another portion of that amazing salad. Amy also enjoyed the same salad.

I witnessed several hearty diners enjoying sandwiches from the menu. Beef and Brie Melt is served on a grilled baguette. The sirloin is shaved and served with caramelized onions and a horseradish-mustard sauce. ($10.00)

Bob enjoyed a Walleye Pike for his main course. It was served with fingerling potatoes, asparagus, cremini mushrooms, tomatoes and herb butter.($15.00)

The Burger is covered with Wisconsin sharp cheddar and red onion marmalade and comes with frites.($11.00) I don’t know how anyone could consume so much food but many of the patrons did. Others took the rest home to enjoy a second meal of the same gourmet food.

I loved every bite of food. I enjoyed the place. I love my family. This was a special day.

If you go to Chicago I highly recommend that you travel to the north shore and visit some of the outstanding spots in the area. Make Abigail’s your spot for fine dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment