Monday, June 21, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

I have resisted seeing this Swedish film for over a month. I kept hoping that if I waited long enough it would go away. Many friends have scolded me for not seeing the film and many have enjoyed the book with the same name. I guess it was meant to be because I set out on a beautiful summer day to see this often violent film. During the viewing I wanted to walk out many times. The interesting thing is that when the film was over I realized I had seen an excellent piece of work. The acting was superb. The story was gripping from beginning to end. If you enjoy a thriller/ suspense you will be in for quite a ride. The graphic scenes of torture and death were horrible to watch and there were a few too many for my delicate system. The cinematography is spectacular. The shot of the Swedish countryside in various seasons is breathtaking and helps to create the mood.

I do need to rave about the young star, Noomi Rapace. She plays the role of Lisbeth Salander, a computer hacker. She has nose and facial piercings. She wears dark and heavy eye make up. She is a waif of a child in build but so powerful. When called upon she could beat up anybody and punches and kicks her way to success. She always looks sad and forlorn and the camera catches her eyes and facial expression. It is very powerful. Apparently she won a Swedish Oscar for her role.

The handsome Michael Nyquist plays the role of journalist, Mikael Blomkvist. He is waiting to serve a term in jail for libeling a powerful business man.

Mikael is called upon by Henrik Vanger to solve a mystery in his family. His beloved niece Harriet had gone missing over 40 years ago.

Lisbeth had been employed earlier to do a computer check on the journalist. She is convinced he is innocent of his charge. Mikael and Lisbeth come together to solve the mystery of 5 dead women and the disappearance of Harriet. The trail takes them to various villages in the area. They begin to unravel the mystery of the murders that is marked with biblical references.

The murders were all violent and we do see pictures that offend the senses. We witness brutal rapes (1 female and the other male) and other torture. I was also fascinated with the tie to Nazism during the war.

I enjoyed watching them unravel the secret codes in order to solve the murders. They also were looking for clues to the missing Harriet.

I wanted to take a large sigh of relief when it was all over. I did enjoy watching the character of Lisbett unravel. She was one complicated young lady and as the film progressed we begin to understand more about her.

I took a long walk home in order to digest all that I had witnessed. The film was difficult at times but all in all I realized that I had seen a powerful well executed piece of work.

Now I urge you go quickly because the film has been showing for a long time and certainly will conclude in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment