Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Barootes

Barootes 220 King St West. 416 979 7717

I used to be a regular at the Toronto Symphony. We always dined at Barootes before the performance. I loved that restaurant. It is huge and always crowded. It never gets too noisy. The large space is beautifully divided so that the tables are spacious and comfortable. It has an old world look with lots of wood and the place is as vibrant as ever. My grandson loved the many pictures on the wall.
I had a most memorable afternoon. My grandson was leaving for Banff School of Fine Arts the next day. He treated me to the symphony for my birthday. I was so touched. The least I could do was to invite him to this old time favorite of mine with so many memories. I was so pleased that he was enchanted with the place.
The menu is very extensive and I recall ordering the Pad Thai.($!6.95) It is prepared with shrimp, chicken, sweet peppers,, bean sprouts, and rice noodles. The Thai chili sauce and roasted peanuts add to the flavor. It was such a satisfying meal before attending a symphony. My grandson carried on the tradition and apparently loved every bite. There were numerous shrimp and lots of chicken.
I ordered the Fresh Organic Blackened Salmon with Balsamic Vinegar. ($16.95). It was so delicious I want to go back right now for more. A generous portion of salmon was blackened with delectable herbs and spices. It melted in my mouth. The flavor was explosive on the palate. A few home fries were on the side. A large green salad with lemon vinaigrette completed the dish. It was perfect for a lunch dish. I was full but not so much that I wanted to sleep in that magnificent concert. (Mozart’s Requiem) We both had a Cappuccino to make sure we stayed awake.
In the past I have enjoyed the Vegetarian Stir Fry.($14.95) Crisp vegetables, toasted cashews, and tofu are served on steamed rice.
Adventurous diners may wish to dine on Grilled Australian Kangaroo Loin.($18.95) It is served with a balsamic glaze sweet potato cakes, and vegetables.
Grilled Large Canadian Digby Scallops are prepared with a vinaigrette, house rice and vegetables.($16.95)
The servers were bustling to keep everything moving. Many business people dine here and needed to get back to work. Show goers to the theatres in the area and the Roy Thompson Hall were all rushing to get to a performance. No worries. The food is promptly delivered. The servers are trained for efficient service.
The symphony was spectacular. The lunch was a gourmet delight. All in all I had a very personal positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment