Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Via Norte

Via Norte 938 College St 647 348 1116

If I had to order a last meal it would be Pan Fried Tuna at Via Norte. ($28.00) I have enjoyed tuna in many cities around the world. It is my favorite food. Chef and owner Jose Alves knows how to perfectly prepare this wonderful fish. The tuna is thick. (very important) The portion is very generous. The tuna melts in your mouth. It is flavored with several different types of pepper. The vegetables are plentiful and absolutely delicious. There is nothing like Portuguese cooked potatoes. Squash, broccoli and kale are also on the side. There is enough for 2 people but I manage always to finish everything on the plate.
The Portuguese bread is crusty and hearty. The very best olive oil and balsamic vinegar are placed on the table. Fish is a big item on the menu. There are always several different kinds of fish offered each evening. Grilled Norwegian Salt Cod is a house specialty ($20.00) I love the Linguini with Sautéed Black Tiger Shrimp.($19.00)
My dining companion was also thrilled with her food. She was such good company and I loved to hear her praise of every bite. She began with a large bowl of Vegetable Soup. ($6.00) She kept saying,” It is so delicious and it is hot, hot hot,” I could see all the vegetables in the bowl. It was creamy and I was tantalized with the aroma.
My friend then enjoyed her favorite food, Grilled Fillet of Portuguese Sardines. She was in ecstasy. The fish was boned and served with a delicious onion confit, sweet peppers, mushrooms and zucchini.($7.00). It was so nice to be dining with a friend who thoroughly enjoyed her food.
Rodrigo was our server. I have enjoyed his friendly service on other occasions. He hails from Spain and it gives me a chance to practice my Spanish. More important he is so caring and efficient.
The menu is extensive. Meat lovers will have many choices .Free Range Quarter Capon Leg is served with roasted potatoes, seasonal vegetables with a medium spiced piri-piri.($15.00) Bitoque 10 oz Prime Steak is prepared Portuguese style, seasoned with black pepper, garlic, and served with home fries and fried egg.($18.00)
I am so happy to see that Via Norte is participating in Winterlicious 2012. They are one of three restaurants serving Portuguese food that have been selected. I will be there. Winterlicious is from January 27 until February 9.
Three courses will be served for $35.00 I am so thrilled that tuna will be one of the choices. The appetizer is offering a choice of Grilled Portuguese Sardines, Organic Greens, Broiled Goat cheese Salad or Soup of the Day.
The entrée selections include. Pan Seared Tuna, Grilled Calamari, Bitoque Prime steak, Oven Roasted Capon Supreme
I already know I will enjoy the Crème Brule for dessert. Fresh fruit salad or Mango Sorbet is also offered.
You don’t need to wait for Winterlicious. Via Norte offers this wonderful food every day. I just can’t get enough of that perfectly cooked Pan Fried Tuna. I will be back even before Winterlicious. I congratulate Jose Alves for keeping liquor prices reasonable Hope to see you at Via Norte.

No comments:

Post a Comment