Monday, January 30, 2012

Fiermosca

Fiermosca 36A Prince Arthur Ave 416 323 0636



I like to think of myself as positive and most of the time I see the glass as half full. So what happened on this occasion? I was out for dinner with a friend who lives in the same building. I enjoy her company. She loves fine dining. As soon as we entered I had a foreboding feeling.

I have dined at Fiermosca for years. I was a patron when they were the energetic, trendy restaurant on Avenue Rd near Bloor. It was a great people watching place and the food was fantastic. I have dined at this location many times.

The food has always been delectable so I am willing to overlook the ambiance but on this occasion it was just too much. The dark wood is just too drab and old world. The bouquet of artificial flowers must be trashed. The bronze like statue in the doorway turns me off completely. Why is that fancy looking gun hanging on the wall? What statement is this restaurant trying to make? The place inside is a turnoff. But usually the food will recoup my positive mood. The patio at the back is glorious in summer months.

On this occasion the place was more than bustling. The back room was hosting a private party and the front room couldn’t cope with the overflow. I was told that 30 people had been turned away on this evening. If only we were one of them. It would have been better.

We started with a Caesar Salad. It had no taste. The garlic was obviously still on the counter. It never made it to the salad. The salad was crisp but tasteless.

My Linguine with Shrimp was just not acceptable. It was almost cold. There was no sauce. The shrimp were not tasty.

My friend did enjoy the Gnocchi special of the evening.

In fairness to the server I mentioned that the food was not hot enough. He did make it a bit warmer but plain linguine with no flavor is not my idea of dining in style.

I have always had excellent food here before. Obviously others also enjoy this location because it was more than busy.

I could have kept quiet about this experience but I needed to get it out of my system so that I could move on with my culinary dining.

It is now off my chest. Perhaps one day I will return and hopefully find a more aesthetic ambiance.

In the meantime I am fortunate to have other restaurants in the vicinity that are guaranteed excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment