Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Via Norte

Via Norte 938 College St 647 348 1116

If you have had the pleasure of dining here you know why I continue to write about this place. If you have not been there I highly recommend it. My birthday celebrations seem to go on forever. This was very special because my family was taking me out. They didn’t ask but notified me that we were going to my favorite place. I was so delighted.
I have dined here so many times. It has always been in the evening. I always wondered what it would be like to have a lunch at Via Norte. It was so interesting. There were so many men dining here from the Portuguese community. Many seemed to know one another and there was a friendly atmosphere. We stayed a long time but the other patrons were still there after we left obviously enjoying their wine and the great Portuguese food.
My friends all know my favorite food is Tuna and Via Norte does it the best. Very few restaurants serve this fish because it is expensive and difficult to prepare properly. Chef and owner Josee Alves is a master.
Even at lunch I was amazed at the portions. Two large pieces were perfectly cooked. The pieces were thick and well seasoned. I always marvel at the amount of freshly prepared vegetables. I also am amazed that I always finish every bit on the plate. There is no way I am bringing any home. Three of us enjoyed the Pan Fried Tuna on this occasion.($22.00) My daughter-in-law opted for the Linguine With Tiger Shrimp.($19.00) It was an enormous portion filled with giant shrimp band thoroughly enjoyed. I was also enjoying it through osmosis because the aroma from the olio and aglio seasoning was tantalizing. Rapini and sun blush of tomatoes enhanced the flavor as well.
The Portuguese Bread is always so yummy. Bottles of the finest virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar add to the flavor of the bread. It is impossible to stop eating the home cured black olives.
The Portuguese Sardines are a house specialty. Several of my friends have enjoyed this dish in the past. Caldeirada de Peixe for 2 is offered at $40.00 It is cooked slowly in a copper pot. White wine, tomatoes and onions and herbs are cooked with a mixture of fish.
The selection of seafood is plentiful. Of course meat specialties are also offered. Bitoque is a US 10 oz. prime steak cooked Portuguese style with garlic and pepper and topped with an egg. ($18.00)
I like the food because it is so well flavored. The portions are more than ample. The charming Rodrigo makes sure you are satisfied with the food and the service. He was very busy on this occasion looking after all the tables but made sure we were content.
We shouldn’t have done it but we shared a portion of Flan and licked the plate clean.
I have already reserved to go back for an evening of Winterlicious. Winterlicious is offered from Jan 27 – February 9. Three courses at dinner are offered for $35.00. I can’t believe tuna is on the menu for the main curse. It is the only restaurant in the city offering tuna. There are three options for each of the three courses. What a great opportunity!
I look forward to seeing Josee Alves, the chef and owner. I am always so happy to praise his food. I look forward to the gentle Rodrigo looking after the three friends who will be dining at Via Norte with me during Winterlicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment