Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Marcello's Pizzeria

Marcello’s Pizzeria 1163 St Clair Ave ( at Dufferin)
416 656 6159

Food cravings seem to go in phases. Thai food, Sushi and others were the hot item for a while. Have you noticed that pizzas never go out of style? It is true that Neopolitan style pizza is a current favorite. New spots keep sprouting up all over. The pizzas are cooked in 90 seconds and I say,” So what?” The crusts are not crispy and if I am out for a dining pleasure I am prepared to wait for a pizza to be properly cooked.
Marcello’s has been a family institution for a long time. Their food is always dependable and delicious. The pizzas are outstanding. The restaurant does not take reservations so plan to arrive early. My grandson Alex is on a mission to discover all the great pizza places in town. I was happy to help him in his research. I love spending time with him. We always get into stimulating discussions about books, politics and music. I adore his company. Marcellos’s has so far been the winner. The crust is perfectly prepared. The options of toppings are numerous. The service is always friendly and the cost is very reasonable. It is a great place to take the family.
Alex ordered the Special Pizza.($12.95) It was topped with fresh arugula (a lot of it) and goat cheese. It looked so good I had to try a piece. Outstanding. There are 20 Pizzas listed on the menu as well as the daily special. Pizza Terra offers toppings of olive oil, mozzarella, parmigiano, sweet pancetta, roasted potatoes, spinach and red onions.($12.95). Pizza Melanzana is prepared with tomato sauce, goat cheese, roasted red peppers and grilled eggplant.($12.95)
He started with a bowl of Stracciatella Fiorrentina Soup.($4.95). That also was fully enjoyed.
I like the friendly atmosphere. It is obvious that many of the patrons are regulars. They chatted with the manager and already seem to know what to order.
I am trying to work off all my seasonal dining. (A daunting task) I settled for a Caesar Salad.($8.95) I asked if it would be sufficient for a lunch portion. I couldn’t even finish it. The salad was fresh and crispy. The dressing was very flavorful but did not overpower the salad. An Espresso coffee for Alex and a Cappuccino for me and we were happy satisfied patrons.
Marcello’s is more than a pizzeria. Most people do order the pizzas and they do a large take out. I have dined here many times in the past. Their fresh grilled fish is excellent. I noticed that Swordfish was on the menu this day.($22.00) I was so tempted. Meat, chicken and other fish specialties are listed on the menu. The Pasta specialties are fantastic. My favorite is Linguini con Gamberi. Black tiger shrimps and leeks are prepared in a sundried tomato paste cream sauce and served with the perfectly cooked al dente linguini.($15.95).I dare you to save room for a tempting dessert. They are on display in the cooler.
Isn’t it nice to know you can dine in gourmet style at an affordable price?

No comments:

Post a Comment