Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bistro Tournesal

I remember well when this bistro first opened. Yves and Martha moved from a restaurant on Prince Arthur. I used to frequent this little French bistro for a long time. I haven’t been back for many years. I was astonished to see how attractive the Bistro is. The ambiance, posters and music take you immediately to France. I noticed on the card that Mel Bryan, Philip Lewicki and Craig Lockhart are the proprietors. I want to congratulate them on a fine establishment.

My family and I were out for a little dinner before going to the theatre. What a grand surprise to find such elegance and fine dining. The menu was a prix fixe at $28.00 for 2 courses. There were many choices. The service was warm and attentive. We admired the plating of every dish presented. The food was served hot and was absolutely delicious.

Kathy started with the Tornesol Green Salad. It was served with sunflower seeds and strawberries in strawberry black pepper vinaigrette. I was delighted with the Frisee Salad served with Danish Blue Cheese, croutons and roasted nut dressing. Ray and Alex thoroughly enjoyed the Mussels steamed in white wine with sweet red onion, roasted garlic and fresh tomato. A special Crepe Du Jour was very tempting. Another time I will opt for the Duo of Smoked Salmon and Smoked Trout served with cabbage chiffonade, sour cream and pumpernickel.

Alex enjoyed the Traditional Beef Bourginon served over a bed of pasta.(add $3.00) Ray and I thought the Cedar Roasted Salmon with citrus vinaigrette was superb. Each portion of salmon was actually served on a mini cedar plank. The vegetables were perfectly cooked. The presentation was so tantalizing and all the food was hot as it should be. Kathy enjoyed the Rare-roasted Duck Breast served with wild blueberry demi-glace. We could have chosen many other options. Last evening many guests seemed to be enjoying the Bouillabaisse with sea scallops, mussels, salmon shrimp and fresh tomato.(add $3.00)

The dessert list left us making tough choices. The Lemon Curd Tart was the choice. The flavor burst in my mouth. The pastry was delicate and flaky. The blueberry preserve was artistically placed on the plate. We all demolished this treat in no time.

I would say this meal was exceptional. Obviously it was wonderful to be with the family. What an evening! We then went on to enjoy a production at the Tarragon Theatre. We noticed that most of the patrons at the restaurant had also made the dinner and theatre a full evening.

I will be back for more of this delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment