Monday, June 1, 2009

The Chef's House... again

The minute I approach this favorite spot I feel good. It is worth going to appreciate the fine décor. Both indoors and outside the designers have crafted an elegant, modern but warm ambiance. The subtle use of color is so creative. I love the monitors on view to watch the chefs preparing the great food. This is a school for Culinary Arts and a School of Hospitality.

Keep in mind that your servers are students and in fact your visit is part of their classroom work. I always like to congratulate a server for a job well done. Tanika was our server today and also on my last visit. I couldn’t believe it was only her third classroom meeting with actual diners. Her smile would warm any room. She is so efficient and willing to help. This young lady has a future in hospitality.

The food preparation is all supervised so that the student chefs get a lot of practice under professional care. The food is outstanding. There are several options in each category. The price depends on the number of courses not the choices on the menu.

For lunch, 2 courses are $18.00. 3 courses are $22.00. 4 courses including a cheese plate are $25.00. Dinner is slightly more expensive. Wine and cocktails are extremely reasonable because this is a hospitality school and also a culinary arts program.

By the way you definitely need a reservation. On several occasions the restaurant was fully booked when I tried to get a reservation. I noted that this week the restaurant is featuring a Viva Italia evening. Chef Marco Soldat from Italy will be working with the s students. The price of $125.00 is high but you are guarant4eed 5 courses of gourmet food. It is totally booked and I am sorry. I will definitely try another special evening if I hear about it in time.

On this occasion I was treating my dear friend G.R. She needed a hug and I wanted to see her before her upcoming trip to Europe for a friends wedding.

I started with the House Cured Salmon Gravlox served with fennel slaw and honey mustard sauce. I have it on several past occasions. The presentation is artful and the taste is majestic. On my previous visit I chose the Asparagus, Quinoa Tomato Cucumber Salad with guacamole. Delicious! The only appetizer I have yet to try is the Arugula and Chicory Salad with walnuts, goat cheese and herb vinaigrette. G.R. enjoyed her Parsley Frittata with Garlic Sautéed Shrimps and tossed greens. I had enjoyed this dish on my last visit. It is wondrous.

We shared a Rhubarb Ginger Crumble with house-made-ice cream of the day.

I know I will be back. I hope it is soon. What could be better than excellent company and divine food? YUMMERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment