Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Chef's House...in June

My very dear friend, Annette, was celebrating a birthday. Friend Estelle and I wanted to enjoy a fine dinner with Annette and her husband. We didn’t tell her where she was going and wanted to surprise her. She has heard me rave about this very favorite spot.

As soon as they entered the restaurant they commented on the elegant fine design.

I confess that this is my third visit this month. I could eat here every day and never get tired of such fine dining. My last few visits were for lunch so I was also excited about having a dinner experience.

The Chef’s House is part of the George Brown Culinary Arts Program as well as the School of Hospitality. All the servers are students. This is half the fun. They try so hard and want to please you. They have many servers so you are guaranteed a lot of attention. Large monitors allow you to watch the preparation of the food. The food is beautifully presented and is always of the finest quality and standard. I have found the menu to be creative and tantalizing. There are several choices in each category so everybody should be satisfied. 3 Courses at dinner are $39.00 and 4 courses are $45.00. As this is a school the wine and alcohol prices are very reasonable. It is worth every penny.

We were initially treated to a small appetizer. It was so exciting when the chef came to the table to explain what we were enjoying. A small potato was covered with home prepared gravlox. It was topped with a wasabi sauce and topped with a touch of caviar. Delicious!

I opted for the Green Pea Salad. It was a most creative and interesting salad. I can’t wait to try it at home. Outstanding! Green pea pods, asparagus, lima beans and fresh greens were lightly coated with a light pesto tasting sauce.

The birthday girl enjoyed her Prawns, Mussels and Daily Fish specialty steamed in a lime lemongrass broth. Two of the other guests opted for the Grilled Lamb Chop and Roasted Lamb Shoulder. The presentation on an irregular shaped dish was art perfect. The meat was perfectly cooked.

I enjoyed a vegetarian creation that was very special. Spinach, Parmesan Cheese and Mushrooms were formed into round balls and cooked. I loved it. The dish was called ‘gnudi’ which is an Italian joke. The word means nude and the dish was a pasta dish without pasta, therefore nude. If this was a joke it was a winning combination and I had a smile on my face.

Three of the guests enjoyed the Rhubarb Tart. It had a creamy filling and wondrous rhubarb sauce. I ordered the Cheese Plate. Selected Canadian cheeses were beautifully displayed on the plate with a house made fig treat.

The menu changes often. The food is the freshest available. The presentation of the food is a work of art. A reservation is a must. I have never found the restaurant to be too noisy. There is good reason this is my favorite place. The birthday girl seemed to enjoy it all. That made it a perfect evening.

In a few weeks my grandson and his delightful partner are coming from Chicago for a visit. I wonder if they would like to dine here?

No comments:

Post a Comment