Sunday, May 16, 2010

Please Give

would rather not write about this film because I did not enjoy it. I went to the cinema because it had received very positive reviews. I didn’t like the people and I did not enjoy their interaction. Frankly, I wanted the film to end. So maybe I missed the point. Maybe I am stupid. I was not engaged. The film was a selection for the Sundance Film Festival and also an official selection at the Berlin Film Festival.

Kate and Alex are a married couple. They operate a second hand furniture store. They buy furniture from recently deceased people and then charge excessively high prices. She also has a very giving side. She hands out money to people on the street. Kate is played by Catherine Keener and does a great job. She was the only redeeming factor.

Kate and Alex are waiting for the next door neighbor to die so they can buy her apartment. Alex is sleeping with other women. I do have to admit that from time to time he shows some sensitivity. One day he surprised his daughter with a present of a shirt that he thought she would like.

The lady who lives next door is a cantankerous grandmother. She speaks her mind to everyone and does provide some humor to the story. She has two granddaughters. Rebecca is a loving granddaughter who visits often. Rebecca’s sister, Mary, is not a nice person. She is obsessed with her tanning bed. She does not like her grandmother and speaks rudely to her when she does visit. I really disliked her when she was stalking the girlfriend of her ex.

There is some character development and some of the issues are resolved. It wasn’t enough to keep my attention.

I know I will be hearing from many that loved the film. I wish I had enjoyed it. I go with the intention of having a positive experience. It didn’t work this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment