Monday, May 24, 2010

Bar Mercurio

For over 35 years Bar Mercurio has been the’ king of the block.’ It is a family run establishment that has very high standards. The little patio outside beckons on a sunny day. It feels is as if you are in an authentic small café in Italy. The morning coffee drinkers can be seen outside (and inside) reading a paper and sipping their café. At lunch and dinner the place is always filled. And no wonder. As soon as you enter you can hear the soft sounds of the jazz that continually plays. The giant vases with beautiful flowers always decks the bar area.

I love it when Nona (grandmother) is at the restaurant. She still makes the wonderful ‘melt in your mouth’ Gnocchi. They melt in your mouth and the gorgonzola sauce is a delight to the palate. Her tomato sauce served with pasta is her secret recipe. On Sundays her fabulous home made doughnuts are found at the sister restaurant across the road L’Espresso. Siblings Theresa and Joe keep the place moving. I love watching Theresa at work. I am sure she has eyes on the back of her head. She seems to know everything that is going on but is never flustered.

My dear friend Bea had a special birthday. I invited her and friend Anne for a lunch at Bar Mercurio. Champagne and tidbits on my balcony and then a short walk to this wonderful restaurant. I love the table in the window because it offers privacy from the other tables. It gave us a chance to dine in style in a quiet atmosphere.

Bea opted for the Beet Salad. Orange and red beets were nicely nestled on fresh assorted greens. The goat cheese and seeds made for a flavorful dish. I enjoyed the same choice.

Anne took my suggestion and enjoyed the Fettucine Funghi. I had that dish only a few weeks before and it reminded me of being in Montepulciano Italy. The flavor was wonderful. The pasta was al dente.

Three Omelet dishes are on the menu. I almost chose the Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese.

The Pizzas are always special. That was always my grandson’s favorite when we came here weekly. He was a student at UTS across the road and every Wed. we had a visit and a grand lunch at Bar Mercurio.

The Lemon Tart Brulee was superb. Tart lemon in a shortcake crust with a caramelized topping. Wow! A sugar cookie was placed in a scoop of whipping cream and a few pieces of fruit graced the plate. What a way to end a fine lunch!

The prices are reasonable and the food is always tasty and beautifully presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment