Friday, December 31, 2010

Banjara

Banjara Indian Cuisine 796 Bloor St West 416 963 9360

My grandson was celebrating his birthday. We had already had a fine dinner in honor of the occasion. On the actual day I heard that his parents had gone north to the cabin and he was alone for dinner. I couldn’t stand the thought of him dining alone on his birthday. Nana to the rescue. We both love Indian food and knew that we were in for a fine feast.

Banjara is one of my favorite places for one of my favorite types of food. I enjoy the aroma and love the burst of flavor from the mélange of spices and herbs.

There is parking in front. The service is always so friendly. I always comment on the number of staff. The food is prepared very quickly. The flavor is amazing. The price is affordable. I have dined here many times before and always am delighted and satisfied. It is my favorite Indian food place in town.

We were starving so we ordered the Veggie Pakora to get us started. The chick pea batter coated deep fried crispy vegetable fritters were a delight on the palate. ($3.95) It was a large order and we demolished them in no time. We did consider the Veggie Samosa.($2.95) 2 patties are stuffed with lightly spiced vegetables and deep fried. The Onion Bhajia is a gourmet delight. ($3.50) The deep fried onion fritters are such a delight.

Indian food makes for a great feast. Order several dishes and share the feast. We ordered the Shrimp Dopiazza ($12.95). Large succulent shrimp were cooked with caramelized onions and spices. It was great. We barely spoke English as we were ‘oohing’ and ‘aahing’ our way through these succulent dishes.

I insisted that my grandson have an order of his favorite Butter Chicken.($10.99) This is a signature dish at the restaurant. The chicken Tikka is simmered in tomato, onion and cream gravy. This dish was the first to be finished in record time.

An order of Naan was necessary to soak up the flavors of the sauces. Naan is a traditional Indian bread baked in the tandoor method.($1.95) A variety of types of Naan are available. Garlic Naan, Keema Naan, Cheese Naan are just a few of the offerings.

My favorite dish is always the Palak Paneer. ($8.99) It is the best at Banjara. Pureed spinach is served with cubes of the homemade cottage cheese. I always feel so virtuous as I enjoy this dish. I also love the flavor. Aloo Korma is prepared with potatoes steamed and cooked in yogurt, tomato, spices and herbs.($9.50) It is always delicious healthy food.

We were licking our lips watching the patrons at the next table demolish an order of Tandoori Chicken.(half $10.95. full $16.95) If you have never tasted a tandoori prepared food it is a must for 2011. The food is cooked in a traditional Indian clay oven with charcoal and the food is rubbed with a fragrant delicious mixture of spices and herbs

Tandoori Cauliflower is one of my favorite.($8.95) The florets of the cauliflower are marinated and cooked in the tandoor.

As I think of the lovely evening with my grandson I find my appetite whetted for more of this traditional exotic food (and more time with my grandson)

No comments:

Post a Comment