Monday, December 13, 2010

Jules Bistro

Jules Bistro 147 Spadina Ave 416 348 8886

Where have I been hiding? I have just discovered a little gem. Jules Bistro is located in the heart of the garment industry. The entertainment district is within blocks Restaurants, clubs and theatres are in abundance. Jules Bistro is a few blocks from all the excitement. The garment area is very quiet at night. I congratulate the restaurant for being so courageous to operate a fine restaurant in the area. It is a few blocks from all the excitement. I think this adds to the charm. The final result is that it works. Jules Bistro has enough energy for the whole area. This place is booming. The long narrow restaurant has the total menu written on the blackboard that extends from one end of the restaurant to the other. This is a very authentic French bistro.

I was entertaining my adorable granddaughter-in-law who was in town from Chicago on business. She was staying in the new trendy hotel area on Wellington St. I recently heard about Jules and thought this was convenient in so many ways.

Our serve, Anna, was so adorable and I kept expecting her to break into a chanteuse. Everything about the place is French. Anna made us feel as if we were special. It was such a pleasure to have her serve us.

We ordered the Prix Fixe menu for $24.95. Caesar Salad and Soupe a la Oignon are the two choices. The flavorful onion soup was a healthy portion with lots of cheese at the bottom. The Caesar Salad was crisp and fresh. I enjoyed the definite lemon flavor. It was one of the best Caesar’s I have enjoyed for a long time.

Steak Frites, Saumon Grille and Saute de Poulet are the main course choices. I don’t usually indulge myself with frites. The mayonnaise aioli guaranteed that no chips would be left on the plate. The salmon was moist and flavorful. My guest enjoyed the flank steak and frites..

The lengthy menu can be read from the blackboard or a printed menu. The menu offers many little notes about the origin of various dishes. It is interesting reading.

I was so tempted to order the Thon Grille ($!7.95) Grilled tuna steak is served with frites, ratatouille and mixed greens. It is my favorite fish. And I know I will return for a tasting. Nicoise also offers tuna with mixed greens, egg, green beans, tomato, potato, onions and olives.($13.95)

Les Sandwichs are served with salade verte or soupe or frites. Le Parisien is a ham, greens, tomato, cheese, butter, Dijon and cornichon combination.($12.95) Jules Burger offers ground to order beef, greens, tomato, onion, cornichon, Dijon and mayo.($13.95).

Les Quiches and Les Crepes offers a variety of options for $13.95.They are served with salade verte, soupe or frites. Leek and Caramelized Onion is my choice of Quiche. Asparagus with Brie sounds like a Savory Crepe.

How did we ever find the room? Chocolate Mousse with whipping cream was my guest’s choice. I opted for Crème Brulee. Wow! It was fantastic

There is an extensive wine list. We ate, drank and talked a lot. I love my young granddaughter and I certainly loved this restaurant. What a combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment